Large Scale Central

My 250 ton crane build

Thanks Mike.

Today the crane came out for a trip round the RR and I watched it very closely through the tunnel portals and other tight spots. The boom is long so it swings out on tight curves which I have some. I found a spot near a fence that the boom rubs on and I had to raise a couple of portals but the worse part is the crane does not fit through “pinch point” tunnel. This is a horseshoe curve tunnel built a round 5’ diameter curves so it is tight in there.

A smaller issue was solved the other day when I had a concern that the heavy cable reels were not staying level when the boom was raised so I took a very stiff wire which is normally used to hold up insulation, painted it black, secured it to the top of the boom and threaded it through 2 eyelets back in to the cab. It now raises nice and level and is barely noticeable.

All this custom stuff and problem solving is actually fun.

Might it cut down on the amount of swing if one of the hooks were tethered to the work caboose that follows it?..not tightly, but enough to control the swing without causing the two cars to derail