Large Scale Central

Moving the BIG BOY - new data?

http://news.yahoo.com/big-boy-locomotive-begins-california-farewell-tour-193612367.html

Made Yahoo

Steve next to GP9 I’m sure it was much more impressive, these modern dismals are really really big monsters when compered to earlier dismals like a GP.

Vic, that is what I was trying to say… You just said it better.

What kind of locomotive is the diesel that is replacing the big boy?

SD40-2c locomotive U.P. #3105, caboose U.P.P. #24567, and insulated boxcar U.P. #453665

There are lots of videos on Youtube. Some worse than others :] Good to see her rolling and to hear the whistle.

Nice touch they connected up the whistle to an air supply so they could “let her talk.”

I’m surprised how fast they are moving the big boy, I assumed it would be a lot slower movement as they only retrofitted the bearings and everything to get her back to Cheyenne before the real work will start.

Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern both know how to do publicity stunts, now if only CSX AND Canadian Pacific would pull their heads out of their, well you know, and do some heritage units the world would be a better place,lol

Mark Dash said:

Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern both know how to do publicity stunts, now if only CSX AND Canadian Pacific would pull their heads out of their, well you know, and do some heritage units the world would be a better place,lol

Same for BNSF!

U.P. #3105 is coming to Pomona in operating condition. I know the museum doesn’t have a lot of room but it would be nice to see then do something with it while it still moves. Or better yet, trade it to Orange Empire.

It’s nice to see her back on the rails again, Just a shame they didn’t bring her back here to NY for restoration as this is were she was built. As is well known, only the best and biggest Loco’s were manufactured here in NY.

Here are some more videos of the move:

http://youtu.be/nLd4sX2mYXc

http://youtu.be/CdiU93gPt4A

That crossing bell in the first video was certainly annoying…:wink:

What are all the covered hoppers for?

Most likely for braking purposes, that’s a lot of weight to stop and rolling stock brake shoes are much cheaper than locomotive brake shoes !

I would have never guessed that. Sounds logical though.

The Feds told them to add the hoppers for brakes. Locos had seperate brakes from the train line. I s’pose a dead engine has dead brakes.
Cost doesn’t seem to be a factor.

John

I’m sure you are right but I have a question. Why did the horn work?

Doug Arnold said:

I’m sure you are right but I have a question. Why did the horn work?

I assume that you are asking about the whistle on the 4014. They had rigged an air compressor specifically to run some appliances, of which the whistle was one.

Steves right on the money, UP carefully planned everything for this move, even the lead loco was a calculated choice

I would also think the brakes would be rigged to be functional. 1.2 million pounds of loco is a lot to stop, especially if it does not have brakes.

I doubt they hooked up the brakes, I believe the reason for the 3 extra locos and the grain cars are all for brakes