Large Scale Central

Modern freight car build

That sounds correct Bob. I try to keep my build widths to 4" ( 10 cm ). My 40’ car is 48cm long. 50’ is about 56cm. My SD60f locomotive is 75’ long or 76cm. (2 1/2 feet)

Shane

Here’s a picture of the cars as of today. I hope to get my plastic sheets soon so I can move on to the last few steps. Been doing the little things till then like building ladders , etc. I measured the car and its 24 3/4 " long x 4 1/4 " wide and 6 1/2 inches high sitting on the table. Wheel flanges make it @ 1/8 " higher than it would be on the rails . The big side panels are temporarily taped to the car .

Shane Stewart said:

That sounds correct Bob. I try to keep my build widths to 4" ( 10 cm ). My 40’ car is 48cm long. 50’ is about 56cm. My SD60f locomotive is 75’ long or 76cm. (2 1/2 feet)

Shane

Shane thanks for the reply.

Just had to check my measurements - that is a big car and only seeing photos it didn’t sound right

Thanks again

Bob

Bob , the real car is 60 feet long . I try to make them 10 scale feet wide but they usually end up off a couple of inches . The car is being built in 1/29 th scale . Are you making one too ? This is the website I go to for my info. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsTypeList.aspx

in trying to make onemike dorsch said:

Bob , the real car is 60 feet long . I try to make them 10 scale feet wide but they usually end up off a couple of inches . The car is being built in 1/29 th scale . Are you making one too ? This is the website I go to for my info. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsTypeList.aspx

Mike thank you. As stated wanted to check my measurements as not having seen any (except in photos) it looked too long with my measurements.

You and Shane have sorted that out

Yes I’m going to give it a bash to try and make one and see what I come up with

Thanks for the link - that will help greatly

Bob

mike dorsch said:

Bob , the real car is 60 feet long . I try to make them 10 scale feet wide but they usually end up off a couple of inches .

Not acceptable !

Actually the real car is 60 feet 8 inches but who’s counting. I have a hard enough time measuring for even numbers sometimes.

mike dorsch said:

Actually the real car is 60 feet 8 inches but who’s counting. I have a hard enough time measuring for even numbers sometimes.

Mike agreed

We here then have to have a tape measure with Imperial and Metric to convert sometimes

Today the plastic sheets I ordered got here and I am happy to say the laminating method worked out pretty good. I placed a sheet of .020 over the grid I made earlier in this build and heating it with a heat gun working a couple ribs at a time I pushed a metal ruler over the softened plastic . It gave the large side panels the warped look I was going for. I used MEK and a one inch brush to laminate it to the .060 plastic side sheet I made earlier. When the MEK cured it was trimmed and sanded . I used Evergreen # 297 angle stock inside on the bottom and halfway up the side to mount the sides to the car. The upper 2 inches of each corner is finished off with Evergreen # 293 angle because it’s smaller and part of it will show even with the load in it when done. I still have to bend up the top of the sides , I think i’ll use a soldering iron for that. Now I have one more car to do and then on to the next step that will be filling and sanding any gaps . Here are some pictures .

That’s looking great Mike. I can’t wait to see it wearing some paint.

Shane

I got the first car assembled today . I’ll finish car #2 soon then on to the paint shop. I’m going to use the hairspray weathering again on this car but only in some limited areas . I am going to make a couple of pictures showing what I used and where I used it in the near future. Thanks for looking , here are some pictures of the assembled car . Note I said assembled not finished , still a way to go till I can say that.

The first car is well under way in the paint dept. Here is a couple of pictures of the end and a description of the materials I used. The ladders are Evergreen #211 for the verticals and # 164 for the rungs. I made the grab iron with K&S # 8186 brass rod. The upper top rail is made with Evergreen #259 and the ends of it are capped with a small rectangle of .015 plastic with a slot made with a 7/64 drill bit and files. The ladders are resting on a mount made with .010 plastic and rivets made with JB Weld. This picture is the bottom of the end . The side step ladder is made with K&S # 815025 brass rod. The side stakes are Evergreen # 253 . The four corner jacking pads are made from .015 plastic and a small triangle of .060 plastic is glued below the end sheet seen just above the jacking pad in this photo. A strip of .020 plastic is glued under all the side stakes from end to end . In future photo’s it will show the brake wheel and chain from a USA TRAINS modern mechanical refrigerator car. I think that covers what I used to build the car.

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Heres a picture of car # 1 . The rust paint undercoat was applied using burnt umber and sienna from acrylic artists paint in a tube.I dabbed it on the entire car with a small 1/2 inch brush varying the colors as I went along. That gave the car a nice rusty texture. Then I over sprayed with Krylon crystal clear gloss . After it dried I airbrushed hairspray over that . Next step was painting the car with acrylic flat black paint and then a dark grey with black mixed into that. After all that dried I removed some of the black with alcohol where rusty areas would be , like the ends ,bottom and top of the sides. The next thing to do will be adding the graffiti and tag marks . I’ve been practicing on some paper before I attempt to deface the model. Here’s a couple more pictures.

I dunno, I can read those!

It’s a start , no turning back now. The first “layer” of graffiti is on this side now. Still have to blend it and add more tagging . I’m learning as I go and having fun doing it !

LOVE IT !

Rooster ’ said:

Just saying master Mike!

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Today I finished car # 1 , BFTX 10057 . Not a big fan of graffiti but that is what it is these days especially on these cars . The next cars I do , and I plan to do 4 at the same time will be newer REGX gon’s . They seem to have a lot less “tagging” on them and are a simpler design . The last things I had to do to finish this car were the load and trucks. The trucks get a wash of chalks . The load was made from 2 inch thick pink insulation board topped with small pieces of wood and stuff from my junk box. Its all held together with white glue and topped with a orange veil netting. I’ll post pictures of car # 2 when its done . Thanks for looking ! Here’s some pictures.