Large Scale Central

Milwaukee F units on EBAY

https://www.riogrande.com/product/b9-core-series-530-3d-printer/701357

A wee bit more than $4000 …

John Caughey said:

https://www.riogrande.com/product/b9-core-series-530-3d-printer/701357

A wee bit more than $4000 …

I believe you will see a bunch of sub $500 SLA printers in the near future that will have equal build volume and resolution but not speed. That printer claims 100mm/hr. The cheaper machines will probably be in the 10-20mm/hr range. I’m a very patient person.

Thanks John, but the build platform is pretty small for G scale use?? “The 2-1/4” x 1-1/4" (X, Y axes) build platform supports multiple models up to 5"H (Z-axis),"

I think that I will not be mass producing, and since it will be mine, I want resolution over speed. More suggestions?

I keep coming to the formlabs form 2, 0.03mm minimum thickness…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Thanks John, but the build platform is pretty small for G scale use?? “The 2-1/4” x 1-1/4" (X, Y axes) build platform supports multiple models up to 5"H (Z-axis),"

I think that I will not be mass producing, and since it will be mine, I want resolution over speed. More suggestions?

I keep coming to the formlabs form 2, 0.03mm minimum thickness…

Greg

Greg, The formlabs printers are nice but if you are looking at them because of the larger build platform, consider this. I believe the best construction method for a G scale loco would be to build an acrylic or abs sheet stock shell and print the details (doors, grilles, fan shrouds, etc.). The cost of strong resin for SLA printing is quite high and so printing the large flat areas is cost prohibitive. Also, unless you buy a printer with a 2’ build platform, you are going to need to splice (and hide them).

Another thing I’d like to point out. Printing the parts as a whole will take a VERY long time. As an example, the fuel tank alone will take 26.5 hours on the form 2. what happens if the print fails 24 hours in? If you were to make a box out of acrylic and print the curved parts with the site glass and fuel filler details in 4 hours.

You can download the formlabs software free to get an idea of how long and how much resin each part will take https://formlabs.com/tools/preform/

I hear you, building in modules probably makes sense to avoid failures a day in.

I figure how Mark Dash does it, is the way to go, but I want something that does not need hours of sanding and preparation.

Again time is not of the essence.

I was not looking for a 2 foot build platform, my post you quoted looks askance at a 2 INCH platform.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

I hear you, building in modules probably makes sense to avoid failures a day in.

I figure how Mark Dash does it, is the way to go, but I want something that does not need hours of sanding and preparation.

Again time is not of the essence.

I was not looking for a 2 foot build platform, my post you quoted looks askance at a 2 INCH platform.

Greg

My point about the 2 foot build platform was that would be what you need to print whole models without splicing. Honestly, the Formlabs 2 build area at 145x145x175 is probably the ideal size (for building in modules) as that’s big enough to print a boxcar end.

Yeah, I never considered a big build platform, already realizing the cost. I used to work for Hewlett Packard in the division that made plotters, I’m very well aware of the extra cost of having a larger x y z space, nothing comes for free when you scale up.

Still sort of focusing on the Form 2… seem to give pretty good surfaces and still under $4k

Greg