Large Scale Central

Lift up bridge questions

Jon Radder said:

Yes. some kind of mechanical lever would be good. The bridge itself creates the barrier on one side, but perhaps if visitors will be opening the bridge, some means of determining proper track alignment has been established on closing is also needed. Mechanical is still the best as it can not fail due to dead batteries.

How about something the person opening the bridge must engage that will not disengage until the bridge is seated properly?

Calling Rube Goldberg, Rube, are you with us?

Thanks for the pic. I would still like to see a close-up of the hinges in the up position when you can. No rush, I’m just curious as to your implementation.

Jon,

Heaps of pictures on my blog about the railway construction. No 6 in Stage 2 construction log shows the proof of concept model I made after re designing the hinge mechanisms a few times.

https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com/p/build-stage-1.html

The alignment on the non hinged side is being performed by using some “Hillman’s” lift out bridge clamps I had from a previous layout which had a lift out bridge.

The whole thing only weighs about 2.5-3 Kg and cannot go over 90 degrees so it has to be held open and hence closed. I have a stepson who does not realise that doors can be closed as well as opened.