Large Scale Central

LGB Wheels fit in Bachmann Trucks?

Thank you. Maybe there won’t be an issue then.

I have mixed and matched wheels and trucks in all kinds of combinations on my railroad. The only way to be absolutely certain if a combination will work, is to put the wheels into the trucks, put the trucks on the car and see if it rolls. I know one combination that I had, I had to take a grinding disk and shorten the axles a bit, so that the axles didn’t bind in the journals. But that issue occurred so long ago that I do not remember what wheel and truck combination I was working with at the time.

Like i said, I have mixed and matched so many brands together, and the minor issues that I did have were easily solved with a little grinding or filing.

So far there is no issue with the lgb wheels in the trucks of the big hauler tender.

Additional observations.

While LGB freight trucks will fit on the Bachmann big hauler tender, the coupler arm is much shorter. This is not a problem if you plan to use body mounted couplers but will be if you want to use truck mounted couplers.

Also, the big hauler tender is not weighted and the backup lamp is not wired with a bulb. The only thing inside is a small cheap speaker. Part of the reason I wanted to use a tender to mount the railbrush was because they normally seem to have these two items. I bought a round plastic container of various sized lead fishing lures from Wally world and just glued that container to the floor of the tender. I need to find a 12v bulb which will fit inside the lamp housing. I’m using an 18v bulb for now and it just isn’t bright enough.

Plus, the plastic on this model is brittle so be extra careful when cutting and drilling. Luckily the crack is under the brush mount so it isn’t seen.

Plus, the plastic on this model is brittle so be extra careful when cutting and drilling.

It may have just been the one you have. I’ve noted random Bachmann cars having a brittle plastic, whereas otherwise identical ones are more pliable. (I once fed 2 freights through a mini table saw for a project, and ended up using 3 as one just splintered into pieces.) All the Big Hauler 4-6-0 tenders I have owned were ‘normal’ plastic.

Could have been. I have limited experience with anything other than LGB.

Also, this could have been an old car and has become brittle with age.