Large Scale Central

Hecla Mine, Burke Idaho

“Driving” up NF7623, it looks like its paved (for certain values of ‘paved’) until you get to a power substation, then there’s a “Road not maintained for winter travel” sign, and it turns to gravel. The road continues and parallels a set of power lines. Road looks in pretty good shape when these pictures were taken (Oct 2021) It looks like it goes all the way through. Love these old forest roads.

I guess you are right Bob. It does go all the way through. I can honestly say I have never driven past the substation. I always thought the road dead ended. I guess I know where I am driving this spring.

Comes out on the Thompson Pass Road. Interesting, never knew that. Thanks Bob.

1 Like

Bob since you are chasing my story on Google Maps, you can still see the scar where the Hercules was if you turn left up Gorge Gulch just past the Hecla.

1 Like

Here is a puff piece video for Hecla Mining, has a few glimpses into the past.

Great piece Jim,

They mention the Lucky Friday which is in Mullen Idaho to the South and East of Burke. This mine is very active and as they mention in the video is now over 10,000 feet below the surface (two miles). I have heard rumor but have not verified it that the Lucky Friday and the Starr (one of the shafts at the Hecla in Burke) are connected underground.

Here is an article that has a few pics and some background: http://www.nostalgiamagazine.net/2018/09/09/burke-idaho-and-its-neighbors-in-canyon-creek-mace-and-gem/

Cheers!

I need to make a correction. I said that Burke as I call it is Burke and Gem. Thats not correct it is Burke and Mace.

Here is a topo map from 1901 showing the whole area. It shows all the towns and mines in and around the time I want to model.

1901 Topo Map

If you go back to the link I shared of the Barnard Stockbridge collection and type anyone of those towns or mines there is a lot of photos of this area from the late 1880’s to 1920s and beyond.

Nice group of pics on the town growth and layout Devon. Thank you.
Anyone have any insight on the cover over the tenders (pilot?) ?

Inquiring minds would like to know. I’ve never seen the likes before :sunglasses:

1 Like

So where do they keep the paddles??? :joy:

I am going to make a complete guess here. But this was a steep grade and there was no place to turn locomotives until they made it back down the canyon. So they pushed cars up and back the locos down. So I am sure the pilot itself is just like any other pilot in that it is on the front of the train at least when its backing down. They did this to prevent boiler explosions and the lack of a turn around. Why it is covered. . .I have no clue. . .maybe to push finer material to the side that would normally slip through?

I forgot another piece of interesting trivia from Burke. It is the home town of Lana Turner.

Devon , thanks but I know the pilot reason (wasn’t sure if there was a different name applied on a tender installation), but I’ve never seen one covered. Therefore the question :sunglasses:

Maybe a poor-man’s snowplow?

Maybe Bob, but being made of a cloth, maybe burlap, I didn’t think in that direction

I’m thinking it’s for better heat , fuel mileage and to warm it up quicker in the winter months.Them tenders can get cold in the winter.
I’m wondering if the lady in the black (funeral) dress to the right knows why?

Using this picture as a guide

and my given space that I want to put this mine here is what I came up with.

Its a dream but not an impossible one. Considering I can print a lot of the details for the buildings such as windows and doors the construction should be pretty straight forward. It has most all of the main elements of the prototype, I’ll have from February to September to get it done. It would be a major bucket list build and really be a show piece for my layout.

96005011_1361248357418862_129191228989243392_n

Party on my friend !

Well, I say we all get us a stick and beginning in February we poke and prod Devon on a daily basis to help him get this project done. He needs all our help :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m worthless Dan as my blood type is Amtk ( worthless ticker)