Large Scale Central

Hale & Norcross Dump Trestles

Hey Jim T, thanks very much!

Yesterday I completed the main structural lasering, and here it be. Each pile is 1 sheet (~19" x 27"), about 13 of them. Took about 50-60 minutes per sheet to cut. I’m going slower, in order to use 75% power to length the laser tube life.

There will be bits and pieces of thin colored trim stuff, but that’s quick, and I’ll probably just make those as I need them.

Next step will be test fitting the parts, which (depending on how many design mistakes I made) usually really fun.

Thanks for viewing!

Cliff

My head hurts just thinking about putting all that together, Cliff. But I’m gonna sit back and enjoy the show. Now get busy, my popcorn is getting cold (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif). Seriously, thanks for sharing your builds. I certainly can appreciate the time and effort it takes to build such a large and complicated mining complex.

Once again bartender, I will have what Cliff is having

When do we see this monster in place on the railroad ?

You do still have one right ?

Hi Dan, thanks! Actually, putting the puzzle together is the fun part… as long as the pieces were designed properly, haha! There will be the usual percentage of oversights (a tab on one part that doesn’t have it’s mating slot on another, for example). If it’s a major oversight, I’ll recut the part. But other than that, it’s glue and dremel time! And you bet, I’ll be posting, thanks for viewing.

Sean, I’m pretty sure it’s still out there. The main structure is ready to plant, but I’ll keep the ore bin inside as I built the trestle that goes into it. Not sure about time frame, but thanks for your patience.

Rooster, we’re probably hittin the same stuff. At least, your point about the telegraph lines triggered my thoughts, and now those of a couple others. I wrote up a series of questions for the V&T RR Historical Society forum:

Greetings all,

Here’s a few questions about actual telegraphs, ca. the late 1880’s. This is brought on by a friend who said I should be showing telegraph wires strung into my H&N mine model. I said I didn’t think they’d have that, but promised I’d ask the experts. So here goes.

Since a number of photos show the telegraph lines alongside the V&T track, was there a formal business relationship between the provider (Western Union, right?) and the V&T? Would seem to make sense, because V&T would get the TG access they need, and WU the maintenance access they need.

Did all telegraph messages go over a single wire, in series? Or did they have multiple lines for parallel messaging?

Where were the telegraph offices? Only at V&T depots? Dedicated establishments? Other places?

And finally: did major mines have their own telegraph capabilities?

Thanks for your insights,

Cliff

Here’s the one response I got thus far:

Cliff,

WU and the railroads had a close association … WU usually constructed the lines in exchange for using the right of way … often they provided the instruments, also. The other big player was Postal Telegraph, but they didn’t mesh with the rail lines. The railroad companies got to use the tgh lines in exchange for use of the right of way.

A typical railroad depot would have at least two lines, and in some cases, dozens. There would be a Dispatcher’s Line and a message line, which might often also carry WU telegrams. Busy mainlines might have dozens of lines, not all of which would be used at the depot.

Big cities would probably also have a separate WU office downtown. and private businesses might also have telegraph services.

Now, I am not a real student of the V&T, but yes, a large mining company might have their own connection to WU. Probably only a single wire (ground returns were used in telegraph circuits.) If there are two or more wires on the mining company grounds much after 1910 or so, it was likely a telephone line, rather than telegraph. The company wouldn’t want to pay a telegraph operator when a phone might do. Outside of the number of wires, however, there would be no real physical difference between tgh and phone lines, so running a couple wires into the mining company office would be a good feature. Power lines look different than comm lines, however.

Skip Luke
Retired Telegrapher and Dispatcher
Member of the Morse Telegraph Club

Pretty cool, huh? As to whether the H&N had its own telegraph line, I just received a private EM from the former Society director, which said that in the 1890’s this wouldn’t have been likely. He asked what photo I saw the connecting wires in, and I had to say I hadn’t seen them… But, neat thing is that the Director said these questions got his brain going, and today he’s written a 2-page article.

So keep at it Rooster. And what are you drinking, if I might ask?

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

" Rooster " said:

Where is the telegraph office as the lines go into it somewhere and exit it somewhere.

Just fantastic research Cliff ! Ya’ done sold the old bastards on your findings!

Correct me if I’m wrong in re-reading this twice as suggested by the experts. However I believe you stated this picture was taken in 1885 ? If so it sounds like you got their panties all wadded up Cliff!

I do love old pics with the historical aspect of accurate modeling and if it means anything I personally find this whole thread over the top. Not only with the build but once again with the research behind it making it accurate. Outstanding work Cliff!

The track work on the main looks like it would be able to handle Amtrak as well!

This post has been edited by ROOSTER: to dump the hookah water again

Cliff Jennings said:
I just received a private EM from the former Society director, which said that in the 1890’s this wouldn’t have been likely. He asked what photo I saw the connecting wires in, and I had to say I hadn’t seen them…

Cliff

If he cannot see the wires connecting in could he possibly tell you where the wires go to where the poles stop at the bridge ? IMO they went into the mine office and out the other side …do you have another image around the bend on the other side? Also does the former Society director know where the telegraph office was in town as they surly had one (once again IMO ) I don’t have time to search myself and you probably already have a pic at hand. I also see other things in that pic that date it and tell stories but I’m keeping quiet as I don’t really have much time to play.

Good stuff !

IMO =In My Opinion as that seems to be the new language these days

This post has been edited by Rooster: corrected spelling

Cliff, what laser cutter do you have?

-Jim

Hey Rooster,

Here’s a shot from the north, on the other side of the dump trestle.

The telegraph wires are following the tracks, right up to the depot – which was only a couple hundred yards to the north. The wires you may be seeing are guy wires for the 4 stacks, radiating from several big posts. This photo is from the 1890’s; the earlier one is 1885. The Comstock didn’t get electrical power until 1900. But when it did, the mines were the first to get it (to reduce their fire hazards).

Thanks for your ideas and comments! Keep 'em comin!

Cliff

Jim Typ said:

-Jim

Jim, thanks for asking.

I got one of the cheap Chinese lasers. The reasoning was that I needed the larger cutting capacity, but I could no where near afford to get the equivalent US-made machine. It costs me $2k all in, with shipping & accessories. A number of vendors sell them on Ebay, but I think they all come from the same manufacturing facility in China. Here’s the same deal now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152112601843

It’s hard to pin down the manufacturer or vendor, and you’re basically relying on YouTube videos for how-to’s (there are lots of them). That’s the big trade off. But the quality is good, and this thing’s been purring along. The included software (RDWorks), though its menus and help is in Chinglish, was pretty easy to learn.

If you’re serious about getting a laser cutter, here’s a couple comments. You’ll need some basic CAD skills to create your patterns. If you already know CAD, and can produce a DXF file, it’s a slam dunk. That is, the larger machines (50W up) take the DXF files. The smaller ones (40w) seem to require Corel Draw.

Also, the smaller units are cheap, and great for most projects (you can splice sheets together to make larger parts if you want). 40W, 12x8, $360: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152800175231

Cliff

Cliff,

Did you notice that the loading shack has a waste chute visible in the backside pic.? Comes back towards the track…

Cliff Jennings said:
The wires you may be seeing are guy wires for the 4 stacks, radiating from several big posts.

Now that I’m looking at the other side that is exactly what I was seeing! Here I wanted to create a ruckus .

Damnation!!

" Rooster " said:

Cliff Jennings said:
The wires you may be seeing are guy wires for the 4 stacks, radiating from several big posts.

Now that I’m looking at the other side that is exactly what I was seeing! Here I wanted to create a ruckus .

Damnation!!

What a wonderful example of; Roostering Up!

Good deal, mystery solved!

So while we’re talking about stack guy wires, here’s a neat pic. I count 6 guys coming off that post; but from this view or the other one, I don’t see any of them going down into the ground at an angle, with the post acting like a prop. And the tracks are too close for that anyway. Instead, the post seems to just be a big half buried timber, set at an angle; and I guess it’s just strong enough to take all that strain.

Here’s the full photo. If you use the zoom slider, you’ll see another such post to the right, in someone’s back yard. It braced the stacks from the north.

Hale & Norcross stack guy wires

So now your trying to taunt me with a photoshopped picture.

BTW who owns the structure at the top of the hill ?

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Haha! Nope, my photoshop skills are not that good Rooster, sorry! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

At the top of the photo? Probably it was owned by the water flume company, because that’s what it’s parked next to. The flume supplied VC with water (from Lake Tahoe, via a massive “siphon” pipe through the Washoe Valley. I don’t know what the building was for. [edit: actually, it’s probably a holding tank, perhaps for fire fighting or other water distribution purposes].

At long last, I got to building today. Mainly, peeling paper of the plex, then test fitting it. Most went right together, except for the usual percentage of glitches. I had to re-cut 1 big piece (was missing half its slots, sheesh) and 2 tiny ones, so that’s under par for me so far. Some slots were a little too tight (I messed up on the laser focusing). But, that’s what God made Dremel’s for.

So here’s the main base, at the test-fitting stage.

More tomorrow, I hope. But first I need to do some spring yard cleanup. (yay. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif))

===>Cliffy

Jim Typ said:

-Jim

Hello, Jim, and welcome to Large Scale Central…we have a great group of guys here and the skill level has been skyrocketing over the last year! If you ever want to shake hands, let me know; I live in Park Hill.

That is some high-tech wheel barrow pile of earth! Will the buildings key right into it?

Pretty nice work, Cliff.

Is making a form for a pile really building???

What will you cover that with? (Something laser cut, I hope!)

I do believe you are getting a bit closer to being certifiable…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)