Large Scale Central

Getting the RR Ready for Running - Post Ur Pix

yep (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

After the hopper train passed, the MOW crew began looking at a few wash outs along Coal Dump Curve. At first it was thought they could just be filled. On further inspection, the face rock that hides my PVC roadbed, had shifted away from the track and was precariously close to falling off the edge.

Heavy equipment was moved in. All loose face rock and fill was removed and the rock surfaces scrubbed to promote adhesion of landscape adhesive. If the weather holds through the day tomorrow I should be able to get it rebuilt.

In the picture above, the crack where the plants are growing is the top of a rock wall. Rocks above that crack are just dry stacked with a little adhesive to help keep them in place.

The rain held of long enough to get the face stone all placed, I forgot to take a before photo, so placement is different, but I probably won’t even notice that myself. I’ll give it another 24 hours for the landscape adhesive to cure before back filling and ballasting. Here is how it looks this afternoon…

Probably related to the shift of the roadbed face rock, when I put back the switches at Indian Hill Junction, I had a large gaps in the track joints. I spread it out as even as I could, but still ended up with more gap that I thought was acceptable. I knew I needed to add some fill track, so I ordered up some double SplitJaw clamps from Robbie at RLD. Better would be a 1.5 clamp with 3 sections, but I made this huge clamp work. Shown here in place at the top of Indian Hill Bridge. I still plan to add something in the center so the space doesn’t look so large…

Further up the grade, the lead for Walk Crossing Trans-Load still had a gap I couldn’t eliminate in one rail. It was small enough I was able to get the filler piece to work with a standard clamp…

NOW I think the track just needs dress ballast to be called ready for the season. I need to run the leaf blower around to get rid of an abundance of Maple flowers. Then I can run a test train.

Good stuff guys and handy fixes Jon Radder.

I have been busy building tunnel portals and possibly today I can get them in place. Yesterday I got out the leaf blower and cleaned up the yard and train layout. I was surprised to find a bachmann log in the leaves down back. I’m not sure what to do or who to blame over this. We have had a few derailments here and there but I think the log was lost because it was not tied down properly. I’m going to have to look into the paperwork to see who signed off on the log feet loaded and leaving the lumber camp and compare it to what was received at the mill. Someone is gonna be in trouble!

Todd; Are you sure this is actually a missing log, or is it one of those “Plastic” log substitutes used as a make work project by some supposed money loosing railroads, that are always running around in circles, never taking the loads off the cars…!!!

If you examine the “Log”, you may find that is hollow, and not worth even transporting to a plastic recycle dump, if you can find one, that is little more than a land fill.

Fred Mills

I just spent an hr out leaf blowing the pike as well ,in stead of working (WFH)

Maybe I’ll spend lunch pulling all the leafs in the shrubbery … Ni !

No pics …

Fred Mills. said:

Todd; Are you sure this is actually a missing log, or is it one of those “Plastic” log substitutes used as a make work project by some supposed money loosing railroads, that are always running around in circles, never taking the loads off the cars…!!!

If you examine the “Log”, you may find that is hollow, and not worth even transporting to a plastic recycle dump, if you can find one, that is little more than a land fill.

Fred Mills

HA! You are so right Fred. After closer scrutiny the log is in fact made of plastic and hollow. You are also correct that the piece usually sits on a flat car with other similar “logs” and they all happily pull laps around the RR and through the plastic hollow log forest. I don’t have a saw mill but I do have a trash can! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

This WFH … Ugg …

I snuck out to the layout to cleanup a little and trimmed some shrubbery … I also saw some color emerging …