Large Scale Central

Favorite Builds

Here’s another Ray Dunakin build: a former billiards hall turned radio repair and barbershop [link].

As usual, Ray’s builds are eye popping with detail upon detail, all scratch built with interesting techniques, including the interiors. This one is a brick building with lots of signage and wear and tear.

Off the wall definitely one of the great builds the detail is unbelievable.!!!

Those interior details probably border on historical documentation.

Eric Schade has some mad skillz, shown here in his 7/8 passenger coach [link].

The woodworking and other details make this one special, with the added bonus that Eric knows how the actual coach was built since he was restoring one!

Jim, another one for your list, I went to Bruce Chandler’s “a coach for Bob” and scrolled on “MY builds” and there is a ton of for the list stuff does excellent work, Bill

Speaking of building, are any of you planning on building anything and going to national next year in Nashville, TN?

Jim Rowson said:

As a reminder:

• we’re looking for good builds, not good builders

• we’d love to have a link to the original build

• it would be great to have a couple of photos to seduce us into visiting the build topic

• your key insights as to why this is a good build is also really helpful

With luck we can end up with a place where good builds can be gathered as a reference. I personally find the builds here to be incredibly helpful.

If you are trying to search for an old build, here’s a tip: add “site:largescalecentral.com” (without the quotes) into a google search and you will only get results from this site.

Cheers!

Bump for post count

This post has been edited by: ROOSTER

Rooster said:

If you are trying to search for an old build, here’s a tip: add “site:largescalecentral.com” (without the quotes) into a google search and you will only get results from this site…

Well aren’t you a smarty pants!

EDIT: Okay, I take that back. I can’t figure out how the search works. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

John, here’s an example, entered verbatim, in the Chrome search bar:

site:largescalecentral.com passaro

…which brings up all kinds of things you’ve been mentioned in or wrote about.

Thanks, Cliff…here’s one that came up, some fascinating stuff, at least to me.

I really think we should appeal to Gary Armitstead to write a booklet about his personal experiences and what he knows about the history of some model railroad manufacturing; he’s a treasure of information. Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Gary lately?

John Passaro said:

Thanks, Cliff…here’s one that came up, some fascinating stuff, at least to me.

I really think we should appeal to Gary Armitstead to write a booklet about his personal experiences and what he knows about the history of some model railroad manufacturing; he’s a treasure of information. Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Gary lately?

John,

I think that is a good idea. I talked to Gary a coupla months back, he was busy on his engines still.

OK, I guess a tutorial on how Google (and other) search works might be useful to help folks find stuff.

Google uses what’s called a reverse index. The way it works is that Google crawls the web (i.e. goes and visits each web page and downloads the text) and then processes each page. It takes the text from the page and finds all the words (and pairs of words, these are unigrams and bigrams). For each unigram and bigram it makes a list of all the pages that mention them.

When you do a search, it takes your search string, say “passaro mining office” and it gets the page lists for “passaro”, “mining”, “office”, and the various pairs of words. Each page is then scored by how often those words appear (bonus when more than one from the search string is in the page) and sorts those pages by highest score first (probably one that has all of passerone and mining and office in it). It then shows you the top scoring pages (the actual method of scoring pages is way more complicated and is Google’s secret sauce).

If you add “site:largescalecentral.com” then it limits it to pages that come from that site.

So if you do a search for “site:largescalecentral.com passaro” then you get all the pages that mention John. But that includes every time John comments on somebody else’s page, since our name is put on the page next to our post. These are probably in somewhat random order because there’s no extra information to hep score the pages. Sadly (or awesomely), Google can’t read your mind.

If you want to find John’s excellent build where he created an office for his mining district, you can search for “site:largescalecentral.com passaro mining office” [link] and the first result is his Mik build from 2018.

Perhaps more info than you wanted…

Jim Rowson said: Sadly (or awesomely), Google can’t read your mind.

I’m not so sure about that (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Allow me a moment to quote myself from an email I sent yesterday;

Fri, Mar 26 at 7:50 PM …
Is it because Google has a crush on me and is trying to impress me, or am I an ‘expert Google trainer’, or what? But I can come across someone on a forum or social media asking a thing about tanks and planes from the WW2 era,

and I go,
“Oh, I used to know that and have a book but now will have to look it up online”
and this thing that someone else is searching for but can not find, sometimes for a week or more,
Google will practically drop the answer right in my lap …

For instance, just after seeing the Spitfire jack this crossed my Tumblr path,
“Can’t figure out the angles at which wing folding hinge on WWII carrier aircraft (like F6F) is placed”
https://aviationblogs.tumblr.com/post/646205191762444288/cant-figure-out-the-angles-at-which-wing-folding
So, I go plug F6F wing hinge angle in to Google, and the very first result is, …
(email includes pasted in screen shot of Google page at this point)
"
www.asme.org › media › aboutasme › landmarks
PDF
The hinge is positioned at 45° inboard and 45° rearward so that the wing rotates into a vertical orientation as it traverse\ toward the rear to minimize both the lateral and vertical space required when the plane is parked. Figure 4: AIR ZOO Wildcat (at right) with two “friends” in an air show.
"

this kind of thing has been going on for at least a decade and a half.
It is great fun yet also kind of spooky … maybe the internet really can read my mind through the computer screenEmojiEmojiEmoji
Scott

Anyway, in this specific instance apparently the question was answered with that same paper on Reddit, which I’m not on, several days earlier & I wonder if in this specific instance that may be involved in why the answer was at top of results. But I’m pretty sure this same thing is not what has been going on every time for all 15 plus years for every hobby forum and social media page I’ve ever been on, ya know.

1 Like

Jim Rowson said:

If you want to find John’s excellent build where he created an office for his mining district, you can search for “site:largescalecentral.com passaro mining office” [link] and the first result is his Mik build from 2018.

That brings to mind a time years ago when I was playing in Google to see what other info might be out there about Gn15 and some of the first several image results were my own stuff from the Gnatterbox and a couple other places. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

It was both a bit startling and kind of cool.

(just for fun did it right now and had to scroll WAY down to see anything of mine and the result was from here on LSC! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif))