Large Scale Central

F4U Corsair Diorama

Over at The Marine Corps Museum at Triangle,Va. They have one of the Corsairs hanging in the Atrium from the TV series Black Sheep Squadron… I have pics somewhere from when I was there…

This week end we have Heritage Birds in the air at DM Air Force base. Corsairs and other birds are in the air. Pilots need flight time to stay certified.

It’s not an air show, unless you look up.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif) I saw a corsair and an early stealth fighter and 2 more in formation, as I sat at a red light.

John, I hesitate to look up sometimes. Once, as I was driving home, I saw an HE111, in full Wehrmacht markings, circling my neighborhood.

David Maynard said:

John, I hesitate to look up sometimes. Once, as I was driving home, I saw an HE111, in full Wehrmacht markings, circling my eighborhood.

Did you yell air raid. I would have.

We often have a b-17 that flies around. And during fire season we see some repurposed birds. But one day I heard a set of rotary engines that sounded. . .well different. Looked up and it was a B-29. That was a treat.

David Maynard said:

John, I hesitate to look up sometimes. Once, as I was driving home, I saw an HE111, in full Wehrmacht markings, circling my neighborhood.

Ha!..A work collegue flew down in a private aircraft to the Channel islands (Jersey) off the UK. Landed and taxiied to the apron to be confronted by dozens of WW2 painted Luftwaffe aircraft all gathered for the film Battle of Britain.

One of the great UK pilots of the time was klilled bringing an HE 111 to the UK for the film when it went down in the Pyrenees en route from a Spanish airport…This guy actually had a wingspar snap on a Yak aerobatic plane , flew it upside down to within few feet of the ground…rolled it right way up and dumped it on the deck…and got away with it…

David Maynard said:

I get Black DEA choppers circling around looking for ‘bad hombres’, oh my!

Devon Sinsley said:

David Maynard said:

John, I hesitate to look up sometimes. Once, as I was driving home, I saw an HE111, in full Wehrmacht markings, circling my eighborhood.

Did you yell air raid. I would have.

We often have a b-17 that flies around. And during fire season we see some repurposed birds. But one day I heard a set of rotary engines that sounded. . .well different. Looked up and it was a B-29. That was a treat.

Oh yea, when they have the airshow at AGC (Allegheny County Airport), FiFi and the B17s and or B24s overfly my house on approach/or departure to/from AGC, depending on the prevailing winds. One night, something very large, maybe it was FiFi, overflew my house at 05:00 and shook my behind right out of bed.

This is interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Vought_F4U_Corsairs

I haven’t seen them in a year or 2, but there was a couple guys that had a B-24 Mitchel and a Corsair, that flew out of the DuPage County Airport. The guy that had the Mitchel would give flights to WWII Vets.