Large Scale Central

Discontinued Stone Sheets at Lowes

Bob - The Loews in Brockton shows 30 avaiable -also 30 in Quincy- none in Dedham, Weymouth or Framingam The five Loews on the South Shore also show them in stock in varying quanities -As of Today 11/27

I went yesterday to Lowes and they had a lot on clearance, but none that would look good for the railroad. Then they had regular price stuff.

Don’t forget, if you are a Veteran, and show proof, you get 10 per cent off. I went to our County, was able to register my DD-214, and get a Veteran’s picture ID. Now I know I always have a copy that I have access to.

Lou Luczu said:

Don’t forget, if you are a Veteran, and show proof, you get 10 per cent off. I went to our County, was able to register my DD-214, and get a Veteran’s picture ID. Now I know I always have a copy that I have access to.

I got the same thing but I never remember to ask for the discount. …:wink:

I did not see during a quick walk-thru up here at the YYC NE location of lowes on Tuesday but i had noticed last wk when i first read this thread, this lowes.ca (online) offering !

http://www.lowes.ca/wall-tile/avenzo-6-pack-24-in-x-6-in-beachwood-light-splitface-natural-slate-wall-tile_g1536260.html?ProductSlot=31

non-uniform excellent for retaining walls, frost resistant although only mention wall/floor not outdoor !? works out to like $5 sheet !

While skimming thru the RONA flyer within the BlackFriday section there is similiar tile for $3.59 for the next 3 days !

nite

doug c

John Le Forestier said:

Thanks for the heads up, Rob. Unfortunately, I’ve been looking for that stuff every time I go into Lowes up here, even at regular prices, but no joy… That sandstone-colored stuff you got is perfect. You are the lucky one!

Well John, come to find out the stuff is made in your own back yard. A company based in Toronto:

http://anatoliatile.com/index.html

Doug Cannon said:

I did not see during a quick walk-thru up here at the YYC NE location of lowes on Tuesday but i had noticed last wk when i first read this thread, this lowes.ca (online) offering !

http://www.lowes.ca/wall-tile/avenzo-6-pack-24-in-x-6-in-beachwood-light-splitface-natural-slate-wall-tile_g1536260.html?ProductSlot=31

non-uniform excellent for retaining walls, frost resistant although only mention wall/floor not outdoor !? works out to like $5 sheet !

While skimming thru the RONA flyer within the BlackFriday section there is similiar tile for $3.59 for the next 3 days !

nite

doug c

The only negative is the scale size of those stones, beyond a 2 man job to lift and place, unless Paul Bunyon is your rock man.

John

Just bought four 12" x 6" sheets for the equivalent of $13.50 from UK tile dealers with postage extra ( half that).

Not sure what for yet…but it will be in stock at least!
The Fiddletown and Copperopolis depot comes to mind. Mmmm.

Late edit…Ordered 1/2 an hour ago by phone. They just rang to say will be delivered by courier tomorrow 1pm. 10/10 for service (if they arrive on time)!!

Well…the stone sheets arrived on time… Wrong size for modelling. Now have to make low square flower pot for garden. Win some…lose some BUT have found a UK guy that does stone and brick stuff similar to rrStoneworks.

Back to the napkin.

After seeing that flyer last week, you can bet I dropped into my local Rona to check out the ones they had on sale for the weekend. Too big! The individial ‘bricks’ were about 2"x3", which at 1:24 scales out to 4’x6’. Suitable only for the heaviest of applications, such as docks or very heavy retaining walls. The stuff Ken and the other guys have been using looks to be considerably smaller. I’m looking into Ken’s lead of (Toronto) Anatolia’s website now. My darling Irish wife and I visited their showroom a few weeks ago for a project on the honey dew list, and I saw nothing like what we’re talking about here. Oh, I did look, I assure you. Anyway, I’ll keep on investigating Ken’s lead, for all our sakes, and get back to yas. But meanwhile, no change of plans. That’s not my style. I’m still counting on your kind offer to bring some of this stuff to the show for me in March, Ken. I hope it’s still possible for you to get 'em. :slight_smile:

http://anatoliatile.com/picasso_tumbled.html

This stuff looks very useful - It’s not what Ken has been using, but the 5/8" random strips on this page do look interesting. I’m gonna try to get over there this weekend and poke around. I don’t think any of this stuff is actually made here. I’m pretty sure it’s all imported- and priced to match, btw.

Canada’s is a resource economy. That’s code for we don’t actually make much of anything.
We cut down the trees or dig out the rocks or grow the grain, then we sell them to other folks who make imaginative and profitable stuff out of it all. Then we import their good stuff, and pay 'way too much for it, mostly in taxes.

If you try to start manufacturing anything up here you get regulated and taxed to death (again), so you move to the 'States to start your business where you can reach a real market without trade barriers. Well, that’s how it used to was.

Nowadays I guess you move to China.

OK, rant over. Back to trains. I expect their prices to be through the roof, but if/when I learn anything useful about these tile guys I’ll report back.

Taters and peat…down this end (NB / PEI)!

John Le Forestier said:

After seeing that flyer last week, you can bet I dropped into my local Rona to check out the ones they had on sale for the weekend. Too big! The individial ‘bricks’ were about 2"x3", which at 1:24 scales out to 4’x6’. Suitable only for the heaviest of applications, such as docks or very heavy retaining walls. The stuff Ken and the other guys have been using looks to be considerably smaller. I’m looking into Ken’s lead of (Toronto) Anatolia’s website now. My darling Irish wife and I visited their showroom a few weeks ago for a project on the honey dew list, and I saw nothing like what we’re talking about here. Oh, I did look, I assure you. Anyway, I’ll keep on investigating Ken’s lead, for all our sakes, and get back to yas. But meanwhile, no change of plans. That’s not my style. I’m still counting on your kind offer to bring some of this stuff to the show for me in March, Ken. I hope it’s still possible for you to get 'em. :slight_smile:

I have 6 sheets at the present time, so even if they don’t have anymore your welcome to 3 of them. I haven’t checked lately since I had plenty. It still shows on the display panels so I’m assuming they still get it.

My local Lowe’s still has them, nothing to indicate discontinued but there was a sticker on the shelf noting a slight reduction in price (From $11 to $10 a sheet) They did have them on a lower shelf which made finding them tough.

I bought 3 sets today they still have them but they are a “no longer stock item” . They were $10.98 but I talked them into 50% off.

I also found a different set at Home depot that has much thinner pieces but you would have to cut to length…I’ll post a pic later…

Ty

Here is one i picked up at home depot. It is thinner and can be cut to whatever length you want. I cut it with a chisel just a little long and then sand to length. Works pretty well…

Oh here is the product info:

MS International## Model # ST-CIB-10MM## Internet # 202194720## Store SKU # 297707

Chat Offline

Crema Ivy Bamboo 12 in. x 12 in. x 10 mm Honed Marble Mesh-Mounted Mosaic Tile

Ah ha! Thats more what I was looking for. So I guess I am planning a trip to Home Despot.