Large Scale Central

Buddy L 2-6-2 Locomotive

I need some one to come clean up my mess, or better tell me what to do.

help…

For some reason the drive pic came down just fine, but the installed has an apparent invalid code number.

Barry - BBT

See below.

It doesn’t like spaces and maybe certain characters in the file name.
Ralph

Barry Olsen said:
http://www.lscdata.com/users/barry_-_bbt/_forumfiles/Buddy%20L%20Conversion%20(6).jpg

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/barry_-_bbt/_forumfiles/Buddy%20L%20Conversion.jpg)

It is the ( ) around the 6, I think. Rename the file and upload again. Ralph

I always found it best to avoid any symbols in a file name except for a dash -
That usually works fine.

-Brian

Thanks for the comments. I’ll try renaming the pic and see how that goes.

But it is embarrassing to leave all of the useless dead bodies lying around.

Barry - BBT

OK, one last try. \

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/barry_-_bbt/_forumfiles/Buddy%20L%20Conversion%20Complete.jpg)

Voila!! Barry - BBT

Barry Olsen said:
But it is embarrassing to leave all of the useless dead bodies lying around.

Barry - BBT

Your status in Hell is determined by the size of the Honor Guard that you take with you.

Ken Brunt,

I enjoyed your recollections of our transaction, so just for fun: You order the first unit 2/17/94 and I shipped it on 5/22/94, That was my order number #22. Your second unit was ordered 2/23/95 and shipped 3/04/95. I was in Carrollton, TX a suburb of Dallas. Both units had 20:1 gear ratios, 48P gears and an adjustable motor mount.

It is good to see they have performed so well for you, and they are still in warranty.

Barry - BBT

Steve, Thank you, I hadn’t heard that one before. Forewarned?

Barry - BBT

Thanx, Barry…been awhile since then so the dates were a little fuzzy.

Ken,

No doubt, I had to look them up.

You spoke about one unit, is the other doing well?

One of my nightmares is that one of my drives isn’t operating because the owner hasn’t sent it to me to get back on track. Over the years, many changes have been made. When a unit comes in for refreshing or repair, I will change out some things as part of the upgrade. The only time I have charged for anything is if the cause is misuse or abuse.

Every early loco (that has been returned to me) with the adjustable motor mount has been changed out, with a later fixed mount, new brass worm and new worm gear. No charge and I pay the shipping back (not for the whole loco, just the drive). But please call first.

Barry - BBT

The other unit is in a B’mann D&RGW wood burner. It hasn’t been converted to Batteries and R/C yet, so it hasn’t been run in awhile. It’s in a box on a shelf.

So far I haven’t had any problems with the motor mounts. About all that’s been upgraded on the other unit was the metal connecting rods. I figured if it’s running OK I’ll leave it alone…:wink:

Both units are still in their original configuration (except for the one item I mention) and still running strong!

Ken;

I haven’t said this in a while, but “run the wheels off of it, when it breaks come and talk to me”. Get the most out of your investment.

I said that many times years ago. A few times I have been told that the owner did what I said and it is still running. And that is fine, I didn’t need the business that bad. I would rather rescue a customer that needs me than convince some one that it was smarter to deal with me now. Regardless, it has been a trip. A lot of nice people along the way.

Barry - BBT

These are on sale at Ridge Road for $40 now, at that price I had to get one to see what all the fuzz was about.
Atleast I get a motor, gear and som scratchbuilders parts if all goes down :slight_smile:

The Buddy L locomotives were sold (and, presumably, manufactured by) J Lloyd International, Inc. Unfortunately, the Buddy L “limited edition” line has been discontinued “some time ago” according to an e-mail I got from J Lloyd yesterday.

I’ve got the Union Pacific set and it worked for 3 years. Unfortunately, at a Hobby Day at my grandson’s elementary school, it started making clicking noises and stopped. The gears are shot.

I contacted J Lloyd, trying to get replacement parts, and that is when I found out that they are no longer manufacturing the Buddy L train line.

Does anyone have any spare motor parts?

Ed Shuf said:
Welcome Ed. We tend to make our own stuff as needed round here. ;)
Ed Shuf said:
The Buddy L locomotives were sold (and, presumably, manufactured by) J Lloyd International, Inc. Unfortunately, the Buddy L "limited edition" line has been discontinued "some time ago" according to an e-mail I got from J Lloyd yesterday.

I’ve got the Union Pacific set and it worked for 3 years. Unfortunately, at a Hobby Day at my grandson’s elementary school, it started making clicking noises and stopped. The gears are shot.

I contacted J Lloyd, trying to get replacement parts, and that is when I found out that they are no longer manufacturing the Buddy L train line.

Welcome Ed
I hate to say this but your likely going to find it less expensive to buy a new one off Evilbay than to find replacement parts. Buddy L trainsets are now being sold as Keystone trainsets, if you can track down who makes the Keystone line today you might be able to find parts, but as the Buddly L’s tend to sell for as low as $60 it might be better to just get a new one.

Earlier in this thread Barry Olsen of Barry’s Big Trains showed he is working on a replacement drive. You could drop him a line to inquire what a replacement drive would cost.

I found Keystone’s website online and they show the trains but, way down on the bottom of the page it says that Keystone is wholly owned and operated by J. Lloyd International, Inc.

So, we’ve gone full circle.

RATS!

Ed

Ed,

If you need a motor, I have a bunch of Bachmann (Mabuchi) motors which should work for you. They don’t have the little fans, Bachmann didn’t need them.

email me or call me 623-936-6088 or [email protected] Motors $5.00 each plus postage.

Barry - BBT