Large Scale Central

Bachmann Spectrum 55 Ton 3 Truck Shay

Wow - I’ve been hunting around on the Internet and came across this Shay. At first just the description in all the sites that describe metal this and that were intriguing, but when I saw the street price for under $450 it made me very suspicious of the quality of this item. My common sense might have been right once again, dangit.

But I really like how the photographs portray this locomotive. Looks like it could be a nice piece.

A three-truck Shay for under $450?

Check that it has three trucks…

Mine has been running around for a couple of years now, on and off, AND it’s a fine piece, even at the UK price of around $1300…

tac
POH101TLAS

tac said:
A three-truck Shay for under $450?

Check that it has three trucks…

Mine has been running around for a couple of years now, on and off, AND it’s a fine piece, even at the UK price of around $1300…

tac
POH101TLAS

Can I introduce you to my cousin, Vinnie, the Rat? :lol:

Nope, just saw this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-G-SCALE-3-TRK-SHAY-82697-FACTORY-SOUND-/120743910756?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c1ce5dd64#ht_2165wt_936

I know it’s not $450, but it’s darned close. Again, considering the list price that’s pretty far off list so, again, makes me wonder about the quality.

I bought my 3 truck shay for under $375.

Tony

That ebayer is ok.
I dealt with them before on different items.

So I went to the train convention in Sacramento today and bought a 55-ton Shay and I absolutely love the thing. Its smooth and looks great.

But I cannot get the included LGB couplers that were included to fit in the place of the Bachmann knuckle couplers, so I can’t couple this locomotive to any of my cars, darnit. I’m not sure if Bachmann included the wrong parts or what and the cut tiny piece of photocopied instructions is no help.

Then I busted out the DVD (after running the locomotive for half an hour on my track) and there is a huge section of the disc that deals with lubricating the locomotive. You have to lubricate an electric train? Holy grease gun, Batman, none of my LGBs ever got any and I’ve been running them for months, hours per day. Yikes.

I could spend more time lubricating this locomotive than I ever would my personal vehicles if I follow the instructions. What a PITA. If I hadn’t bought it at the train show, it’d be going back. But now I guess I have to get three kinds of oil and a fluffy towel and spend an hour for every 10 this thing runs, if I run it at all, doing maintenance on a toy. Ugh.

Also, the tender jumps the track every time this goes over an LGB switch in the “curved” position, which stinks. It would seem that the flanges aren’t compatible with the switches I have.

Should have stuck with all LGB stuff.

Tony - without proper lube BEFORE you ever run it, this amazingly complex model is going to disintegrate while you watch. A full and detailed lube job is essential to ensure the longevity of this model. I have three of them - two two-truck and one three-truck - the oldest dates from around 1999 and is still in perfect running order, thanks to the tints and hips from Dave Goodson. They all get run a lot - the sight of ONE Shay over here is cause for a minor celebration - six of them [me and Broos running together] is something to behold.

Please be patient with this remarkable model, and treat it to the care it deserves - remember that the nearest thing to it is around $3500…

tac

Yes, I would agree the lubrication is important and not very hard to do once you have the three types of lube oil/grease. Then you are running like the prototype and know why almost all real Shays have got that lube can sitting on the decking .

(http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg412/DrGrab/flat3640.jpg)

(http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg412/DrGrab/Surveyors4-1.jpg)

Enjoy this very nice model. With a little TLC it is a joy to behold. Doc Tom

Tony, The lube job is not that bad. For the record, I have a LOT of LGB and one very squeaky LGB Mikado…Careful application of the Bachmann lubes (including the conductive lube on the brushes) have it running quiet as a mouse.

My one complaint is not that lube is required, but that they did not supply a small amount with the engine. I think that would be good customer service. It is somewhat irritating to get the engine and then discover it will be a few days before you can run it (because you have to order the proper oils/grease).