Large Scale Central

Aristo Sleeve Gear Slippage

Here is a picture showing the internals of the old version Aristo motor block (with axle tips that go into the side frames)

This particular one had a detached motor wire that was fixed.

-Ted

Looks like my blocks except for plastic instead of that brass coupling. Thanks guys! Now to go source some new old ones.

New replacement ball bearing version motor blocks, now made by Bachmann, can be used if considering replacing the old Aristo version.

Bachmann uses them in their Eggliner (former Aristo-Craft product), and Individual Motor Blocks (part number, BAC 96275SP) have been available through RLD Hobbies.

For adapting the new version motor blocks, see “vignette” (article) hosted for me by Greg E. on his Web site, title:
Upgrading Aristo-Craft Loco Motor Blocks from Sleeve to Ball Bearing

Though the vignette shows an Aristo RS3, the same is done for other Aristo locos that use the same type motor block.

-Ted

So most people call that coupling a universal joint or drive although it is really 2 universal joint on a short shaft… so that is your pinon and the cuffs are parts of that assembly?

i finally understand what you are saying… with all the damaged parts, i would think you need a whole new motor block.

Greg

So most people call that coupling a universal joint or drive although it is really 2 universal joint on a short shaft… so that is your pinon and the cuffs are parts of that assembly?

i finally understand what you are saying… with all the damaged parts, i would think you need a whole new motor block.

Greg

It’ll do the job for now, but replacement is likely in the near future. This loco was my first diesel I acquired about 20 odd years ago. Thanks for the help, y’all. Mods can close this if they want.

Bill, no one “closes” threads, because they are a helpful reference to others, that is part of why people will ask a lot of questions, since someone surely will have a similar experience to yours.

The only time a thread is closed is for going beyond the rules, normally political or religious content or just bad manners.

Some people may have some replacement parts too if you ask, if you want to hold off buying new blocks.

Greg

Also, we don’t have moderators. We can’t afford them. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)