Large Scale Central

AMS Coupler - Long Longing Car

well this should get BD in a festive holiday mood

Pete Lassen said:

well this should get BD in a festive holiday mood

Hiya, Pete. I bet it will if we take care of this on our own without his help!

Had the wind blow a large car over which caused a twist in my train one time. That twist completely destroyed the coupler mount boss on my log car. Had to drill down thru the frame and use a screw and nut to put the thing back together.

Chris Kieffer said:

… Had to…use a…nut to put the thing back together.

Hey! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)I resemble that remark.

Hello all!

Apologies for letting this sit, forgot I posted it and got slammed at work. Thanks Boomer for the pictures, that is what I thought. Unfortunately my car has one portion broken off now, the part where the coupler screws into. Need to figure out if I simply drill a hole through and bolt it down.

Regarding the questions on coupler size, I did purchase the 1:20.5 which looks like what Boomer provided, not the gauge 1. It just looks different in the logging cars since they mount with the box removed. I will try to post pictures when I get home, am traveling for T-day holidays.

Chris Kieffer said:

Had the wind blow a large car over which caused a twist in my train one time. That twist completely destroyed the coupler mount boss on my log car. Had to drill down thru the frame and use a screw and nut to put the thing back together.

Thanks Chris, I think this is what I will have to do as well. Same situation

Al Pomeroy said:

Kevin,

I am not familiar with this car specifically, but do have many AMS cars. they all use the same coupler , but sometimes I have found the center hole needs to be reamed out bigger. did you get the correct model of the coupler? there are the 1:20.3 variety and a 1:29 variant that is slightly smaller. some folks use these to represent 3/4 size couplers. not sure if they fit in the same coupler box. I do no folks who have replaced these with kadees as well. so lots of options. perhaps post a photo of your area of concern.

Al P.

Thanks Al, really helpful. Not sure I realized the differences between AMS and AML.

I have done some Kadee replacements on LGB although I have not replaced the couplers on my AML/AMS cars. I purchased this logging car and the coupler was a bit off, during my replacement is when things went a bit off the rails (pun intended).

Thanks to all who have welcomed me, have been on MLS for a while but have not posted here much; all lurking here until now

Al Pomeroy said:

Kevin,

I am not familiar with this car specifically, but do have many AMS cars. they all use the same coupler , but sometimes I have found the center hole needs to be reamed out bigger. did you get the correct model of the coupler? there are the 1:20.3 variety and a 1:29 variant that is slightly smaller. some folks use these to represent 3/4 size couplers. not sure if they fit in the same coupler box. I do no folks who have replaced these with kadees as well. so lots of options. perhaps post a photo of your area of concern.

Al P.

Thanks Al, really helpful. Not sure I realized the differences between AMS and AML.

I have done some Kadee replacements on LGB although I have not replaced the couplers on my AML/AMS cars. I purchased this logging car and the coupler was a bit off, during my replacement is when things went a bit off the rails (pun intended).

Thanks to all who have welcomed me, have been on MLS for a while but have not posted here much; all lurking here until now

Greg Elmassian said:

I thought AMS cars only came with one size of coupler.

There is the 1:29 offshoot AML (American Main Line) that came with it’s own knuckle couplers, both truck and body mounts… but these were never on AMS cars as I understand.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I do appreciate this clarification. I didn’t know the difference

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

The cars use the standard AP11-730 coupler but only the bottom plate of the journal box. The end of the center beam is hollow and forms the rest of the coupler pocket.

coupler

coupler mount

Very helpful, thank you!

Kevin

Welcome Kevin, I have family in the Andersonville part of Chicago, near Foster and Ashland. Is you layout an indoor or outdoor?

Hello Pete, I have a small HO layout in the city (river west, south of Andersonville) and then the live steam layout is up about an hour and a half north in lake Geneva; no room in the city to have 10’ radius curves :slight_smile:

Yeah, unless you owned a whole block or was way out west in the burbs, it would be difficult! Happy Turkey day Kevin!

Pete,
Next time you are in Andersonville and it is a Friday night drop me a note. I am a member at the Garfield and Clarendon Model Railroad club that is just off Lakeshore drive and Montrose. It is quite large and worthy of a visit, not too far from your family.

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving