Large Scale Central

3d Software

I’m pretty sure that they prefer getting the $1500/year over FREE. I, on the other hand, really like the FREE. And, remember, it’s NOT just free, it’s public, so EVERYTHING that you create is visible to the rest of the world. Hehe…if there’s anybody that wants to see what I am up to, they are more than welcome to it.

Anyway, check HERE for the “free” version.

If you’re NOT ready to get into this just yet, I suggest watching some tutorials first to see if this might work for you. Actually, that’s what got ME interested in this product.

This is cool.

Need to find a model that’s already done? Try YEGGI.

I’d recommend the free version of Autodesk fusion, for now.

Anyone using Designspark mechanical, and is it ok in 3d? It’ll stay free, IMO. I don’t quite trust autodesk keeping fusion free (having been their customer since the 80’s…)

1 Like

For my applications, I’m perfectly fine with my designs being public. It appeals to me that I can play around without loading anything on my PC. Normally I’m not a fan of cloudware, but for evaluation, why not!

If I ever get good enough where I might consider designing a commercial product, then I’d look elsewhere.

One thing that I really appreciate with the cloud is being able to work on the Mac AND the Windows machine without having to use a USB drive to continually transfer between the two. (The Mac is where I spend most of my time, but the WIndows machine is in the basement - along with the printer.)

I don’t have ANY problems with sharing - there sure are a LOT of designs out there IN the public view - plus it IS searchable. Free is VERY nice.

Bruce
I use Onshape and really enjoy the platform. The whole 10 “private” files is pretty loose. I’ve made well over 10 files and unless I give people the link, it’s kinda hard to just stumble upon. If I was a business it might be different. But for a hobby I don’t really care.

Onshape product support is really really good as well. I’ve gotten a lot of help on projects in less than 8 hours sometimes even less.

Fusion 360 (Autodesk) is free, cloud based, and private. You have you own account and have to log in. The free version stores a limited amount of files online but you can also download the Fusion files to be uploaded again.

FYI: As a veteran, I was able to purchase SolidWorks back in 2015 for a one time fee of $20. I believe the deal is still available. The SolidWorks Student Store - 3D CAD Software for Students

Thanks for pointing that out, Dan. I’m not a military vet, but it’s a great deal for those who are. Analogous to the regular student version, you just have to submit proof of your service.

It still does the “student version” watermark everywhere, right Dan? But if so, it’s a small price to pay. Like, $20 vs. $5k.

Cliff,

not only the watermark i believe there is a reduced tool set. yesterday i found out i can no longer have license on two computers, and must now transfer. had to transfer to a new computer and had to call in to get the old one out of the system. still waiting to hear back from auto cad.

Al P.

I have not seen any watermark on anything however, I really only use SolidWorks to convert files given to me to something I can import into Sketchup. :grinning:

Another free one for design:

OpenSCAD. Runs on dang near everything, Download here: OpenSCAD - Downloads

For THIS old-timer, it just seems to make a LOT more sense then the others I have tried.