Large Scale Central

2021 Toy-to-Model Conversion -- Idea Generation & Sanity Che

GAP,

I saved the website against future need. As for the current project proposal, maybe that website will result in the worlds first 1:24-ish PLAYMOBIL scale model of the long lost chop-top tropical prairie class engine?

Eric

The boys and I made the run to the Ewa Railroad Saturday and took measurements off the 4-6-0 and 0-6-0 (search against OR&L #12). The former’s cab extended well after of the boiler backhead which would result in the European overhang Korm mentioned in our case; the latter was close to flush similar to Gordon, with the crew standing off to the boiler’s side or on a platform between it and the tender. The 0-6-0 is also in far better shape, with gages and controls still in place, should we really go “full stupid” on tis project. From the prototype comes the way forward…

Cardstock mock-up to follow in time!

Eric

Gonna be fun to watch this develop and come together. Success to ya! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I bashed a Bachmann Big Hauler cab onto one of these, came out pretty good. I’ll post a pic if I can.

Eric;

I am confident you can do it. I have an over abundance of thumbs, but still manage to turn unlikely stuff into model railroad equipment. For example:

A PlayMobil toy tipper truck car became a credible ore car.

A 1 liter seltzer bottle, a ducted fan drive, and ball bearing wheel sets became a “Buck Rodgers” style high speed rail car.

AND a wayside telephone shed by SkanKit became the “Little Deuce Caboose.”

So keep plugging away on your project and post lots of pictures.

Best wishes, David Meashey

P.S. Forgot about this one. Several years ago my wife bought a new watch. The box resembled galvanized steel siding. Gave it a roof, put a handle on the lid, and weathered it a bit. Presto! A garden tool shed.

Here is the cab bash pics, hardest part was cutting a slot on top of the boiler and adding some shims on the side for the cab to fit. its simply screwed on thru the sides of the cab.

Note: This is the EARLIER version of the engine with the open cab. The later battery-in-cab version derailed on straight level track so I pitched it. As it is, this one has ALOT of weights glued to the underside to keep it stable. This is by far my least favorite battery engine on the market.

One more thing, if you are keeping the stock cowcatcher theres a bit of plastic that sticks down below the lip of the cowcatcher, file it off so the underside is one smooth continuous surface, that stupid section of plastic was the prime reason mine constantly derailed on every corner and turnout, its like its engineered to trigger derailments. Shave it or file it but get rid of it. I got rid of the cowcatcher entirely and added a wood crossbeam and a knuckle on mine.

@Vic: That is exactly the look I was going for! We plan to have some fun and repaint the thing, too, which will be good practice for more serious projects. I will say, that the e-Bay prices for shattered Big Haulers is all over the place! Ill see what a cab runs new, tomorrow.

@Dave: Thanks for the encouragement and a couple of great ideas!

Eric Mueller said:

@Vic: That is exactly the look I was going for! We plan to have some fun and repaint the thing, too, which will be good practice for more serious projects. I will say, that the e-Bay prices for shattered Big Haulers is all over the place! Ill see what a cab runs new, tomorrow.

@Dave: Thanks for the encouragement and a couple of great ideas!

Eric, Message me your address I have a spare cab that I’m never going to use, let’s see what you can do with it.

Vic,

PM sent! Thanks! Now we have to go through with the project! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Eric

Quick update:

1. Vic’s spare cab is on hand. Perfect!
  2. Someone posted a video on FaceBook of one of these toys leading a 44-car train (link). This means I can save the LGB tender for something else. I’ll proceed with a battery per Vic’s and Joe’s examples.
  3. Control will be via IR, per another FaceBook post (link). Why not?

This is project number four in the lineup behind the sugar mill (in progress), sugar company specialty cars (parts on hand), MIK 2021 (goodness knows!)are all ahead of this. In the meantime, we’ll enjoy Gordon for “who” “he” is.

Thanks again for the ideas and parts!

Eric

Update & Close-out:

Kid-zilla and I, taking a break from our running gun battle with our m2075 / Smallbrook hybrid (Rehab of the Missile Sponges Part the Second - Christmas Thomas), brainstormed on this project a bit last month:

We both agreed that this would lead to a unique locomotive. Once we started discussing “cutting,” and “sawing,” however, KId-zilla teared up. Gordon, it seems, still has value as is, and is in no need of rehabilitation in the eyes of “his” primary engineer.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions - and bits - to get this project rolling. The project is on indefinite delay, however, until Kid-zilla is ready.

Eric

That looks great Eric, now it needs a Gordon paint job