Large Scale Central

1:25 Cathedral

very cool Cliff. Thanks for sharing it.

You bet Jon, thanks.

Thanks for getting those answers, Cliff!

My pleasure!

I’ll be standing around near these models for 1.5 more days, so if someone has a question, let me know and I’ll ask him.

Cliff Jennings said:

My pleasure!

I’ll be standing around near these models for 1.5 more days, so if someone has a question, let me know and I’ll ask him.

OK

I’ll ask …Why are you there ?

Cliff Jennings said:

My pleasure!

Cliff…is all the stonework on the cathedral carved? I think you mentioned it is cast, but cast in what?, and then carved? What is the exact material they use to make the walls…and what about the bricks? They look incredible.

Thanks.

Sean, I’m here at the same trade show (IAAPA). Our company (Oceaneering, Entertainment Systems division) has its booth about 75 feet away from the cathedral model.

Joe, I misspoke in my earliest email, by saying they used castings. I’d thought they said that, but learned yesterday that it is all hand-carved, including all the stonework. They said they used a proprietary formula of polyurethane foam, so I expect that it’s similar to high-density foam sheet that’s commercially available. They rough-cut the blocks or sheets, probably laminate them, and start carving. Details such as statues are carved separately.

Cliff, do they produce kits?

To ship (ie. to trade shows), are they designed modular or in specially designed drop side containers ?

Those are impressive models and … huge !

thanks

Your going to need a bigger garden (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Steve, sorry, I forgot to ask. But they seem focused on one-off, permanent, and pretty costly “miniature parks”; so I’d guess not.

Doug, the cathedral is on 2 steel base frames, the “smaller” buildings on 1. All are fork-lifted from the shipping containers to the general spot. Since each frame has multiple casters, they are rolled into final position.

Vic – I wish! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Here’s the two “small” buildings ha also had at the show. First is the Trevi Fountain in Rome, then the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. Looking at the 1:25 figures, I had no idea these structures were that enormous.

===>Cliffy

Thanks Cliff :slight_smile:

Oh my GOD. . . . ! I can’t even imagine building such stuff . . . . . FANTASTIC THOUGH. . . (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Scale wise, Something looks wrong with the fountain… If you look at the steps on the side, and the size of the people, Assume that the people are tall at 6 ft. and there are only 4 steps up and the landing is taller then the people standing on it. Thats makes each step >2ft tall? Normal steps are 8-10 inches tall.

That also makes the pool wall at 6ft tall, most people wouldn’t be able to see in/ over the wall to look at the pool.

And the side door way would be over 20 ft. tall.

I think that the scale of those people are incorrect for that model.

Bob McCown said:

It would be amazing to call this guy and say something like “Build me all the buildings in downtown Thurmond, WV, in 1:20 scale” and see what he would come up with.

I am guessing the subscriber list has done wonders for Bob’s bank account. Glad we can help BD, and yes I an just kidding!