Large Scale Central

Bart takes Train #2

What a beautiful day today. Low humidity and low temperatures - very unusual for August in Northern Virginia. To top it off, Bart came by for an operating session. He told his wife that he was really here for his brother’s wedding, but I’m sure that was just the cover story. I had the live steam Shay running when Bart arrived.

Not only that, but I had the cars and locomotives out so he could run Train #2 out of Green Springs.

Bart wasn’t familiar with the route but he adapted quickly. Later, he did complain about not blocking the train out of the yard - he had some tricky switching to do in Jackson. :wink: Naturally, he chose the Shay to lead the train.

The yard switching was pretty straight forward.

I basically served as the switch man, while part was engineer. He also directed my actions. It was similar to my earlier posted run, but there were enough differences to make it even more challenging. What a great day. I was very pleased to find that my layout design allowed the two of us to conduct a great operating session. At the end of the session, we ran the train back to the yard and put the cars back in the yard. For clean up, we each took a locomotive and pulled the cars back to Matheson Textiles - my storage shed. Lots of fun operating trains!

You sure picked a great day to run…it was a beautiful day here too.
Sometimes ya just get lucky…:wink:

Supposed to be a beautiful weekend here in St Louis area also. This weekend I am planning to get out and move some freight also.

Todd

Today was gorgeous. Low 80’s in Carlyle in August is wonderful. And every day is a day to stop the heat from baking the ground that much hotter. This is the 2nd Saturday of August, so it is National Marina Day. Too much work to play with trains. But, that’s all over now. Fed close to 300 people and I think everyone had agood time. Temps in the 60’s through this next week at night and high’s in the mid 80’s. Life is good.

What a great way to spend a gorgeous afternoon!

So did Bart make it to the wedding or did he just send the gift and his regrets? Setting priorities is a major part of this hobby.

Indeed It was a great day to run trains, and the local switching was pretty diabolical…as mentioned proper blocking of the train before leaving the yard would have helped, but ya gotta switch 'em around somewhere…The only regret was that I didn’t have more TIME before being required to report for the Rehersal Bruce and Jean as always were wonderful hosts, and the conversations more than likely resulted in a lot of ideas for both Bruce and I!

Incidentally Bruce…Shay 117 is back in action…the culprit was a bladed fuse that had been rattled out of its holder I guess by the trip up! Once I had it out of the carrier, it was a ver simple find and fix…make me do it next time!

Looks like a good time :smiley: