Large Scale Central

QSI/Airwire

I decided, after much mullng, to try out the QSI?airwire combination. I run on track power with remote control, which seems to be kind of the oddball choice but it works well for me. I was looking for a more cost effective way to get control and good sound than what I had tried before, which was aristo’s 75 mhz te and Phoenix.

The QSI drops right into aristo’s socket, and you’re up and running on DC power right away. The airwire t9000 gives you functions, and to use it you need to buy an additional “Gwire” card, which plugs into the QSI board via a long ribbon cable. Plug it in and it picks up the airwire throttle right away

I’m still learning how to use it, but so far I’d say it’s really very good. You can blow the whistle and trigger the bell remotely, as well as a bunch of other sounds. The sound quality is excellent. The chuff rate is synched to the motor, with no need for a chuff sensor or reed switch or axle magnets. It seems to be very close and accurate

It “feels” very different in operation from the TE–hard to explain why. Because my track is always on at 21 volts, unless you do a disconnect and shutdown procedure at the end of a running session, it will take off like a rabbit when power is returned to the track.

I assume I’ll be getting their software and interface, so I can program the sounds. Now I’m gong to go outside with the throttle and the manual and read up

“When all else fails, read the destructions!” Jeremiah Matthew Featherkile, age 4. :lol:

Steve Featherkile said:
"When all else fails, read the destructions!" Jeremiah Matthew Featherkile, age 4. :lol:
Commenting to/advising his grand dad who was cursing under his breath because ............ (insert applicable item) wasn't working right! :lol: :lol: :P :P

I read the instructions, violating all my most deeply held beliefs in the process, and I did indeed learn some useful things, like why it took off like a rabbit every time I switched the power back on and how to avoid it. I’m pretty impressed with it. I’m going to mess around some more, probably burn it out once or twice or make it sound like the Queen Mary instead of a train. By then I will have learned something

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Steve Featherkile said:
"When all else fails, read the destructions!" Jeremiah Matthew Featherkile, age 4. :lol:
Commenting to/advising his grand dad who was cursing under his breath because ............ (insert applicable item) wasn't working right! :lol: :lol: :P :P
Actually, Jeremiah is my son, and he said those words some 24 years ago. I can't remember what I was working on, but HJ has the right of it. Now Griz is a Navy Twiget, and often has to be reminded of the same.

It must be a guy thing.

BTW, he got the nickname from the movie Jeremiah Johnson… “Hey Pilgrim, can you skin Griz? Well, here, skin this’n, an’ I’ll go get another’n.” As a big grizzly comes crashing through the cabin door.