Large Scale Central

Converting a scanned document

Hey Bob or others,

Jan scanned a file for me. It is a very simple 8.5 x 11 page of our train order template paper. Simple sketch and words. I tried to load it to the Freight shed and it wouldn’t work. In my computer it is called,

KVR - Document 1.tif

by changing the name from (tif) to (jpg) can I get it to load?

I think you’ll have more luck if its it .jpeg or .gif format, give it a try.

Ric,
Just changing the name won’t help. It has to be saved in that format.

Usually when you scan a document and then convert it to JPG, it loses a bunch of clarity.
Try cutting and pasting the original on your computer, into “articles”.

jb

Some viewer programs will have a “save as” function which will allow you to convert from tif to jpg. Go to www.download.com and search for Irfanview. It’s a freebie viewer and small editor. It will do the conversion just fine. It’s one of the best viewer programs around. For anybody that likes to look at a lot of piccies it should be on your “must have” list.

I know you guys are making sense to yourselves and probalby everyone else. I do appreciate the replies. I’m trying to work it out. Bruce, I sent you an email.

Ric -

If you want to send the TIFF file to me in an email, I can convert it for you.

John is right that it might loose some clarity - it might need to be enlarged, then cut up in smaller pieces to be readable as a JPG.

Another option is a PDF file. If you have Adobe Reader installed, your browser can display a PDF, but it won’t appear embedded in the text like a photo will.

Jon

Thanks Jon, Bruce is working with me. He gets the magazine, so he can work from originals. I appreciate the offer.

But the real problem is that text in a .jpg file doesn’t look all that great. I’m not sure what the best way to do this is…

Bruce Chandler said:
But the real problem is that text in a .jpg file doesn't look all that great. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is...
Just my 2cents: The easiest is a scanner that converts directly to a PDF. My Canoscan 4200F does and it works extremely well.

Hmm…I have one of those. I didn’t realize it could do that, as I usually access it from Paint Shop.

So…tried this out. Nice quality, but big file. Not that much bigger than jpg with 1 compression…about 837 kb vs 703 kb. The problem is that jpg will appear inline. A pdf will have to be clicked on. Maybe not a big deal.

PDF…darn near everyone has Adobe or can get the reader can;t they?

Bruce resolved it for me, check out my new article, if you wish. Thanks Bruce.

So what was the soultion Bruce ?

The output looks very good and loads fast.

JR

Bruce, that’s a great conversion job!

Ric, I loved the whole article, but page 7, column 1, is easily the best part of it. Cracked up at the bit that mentions you wondering what you’re doing. Seems like you get by with a little help from your friends, especially your Number One Friend.

Rings all sorts of bells with me, mate.