Large Scale Central

Gramps Kit

All this rain lately has given me a chance to start working on the Gramps kit from Phil’s Narrow Gauge. This is an impressive kit - very well engineered with a great set of instructions including lots of pictures. The castings are very clean and the parts are nicely laser cut. I should have taken pictures along the way, but I was just having too much fun putting this one together. Tonight I brought it upstairs to show my wife and decided now was a good time. I have just finished putting the brass rivet strips on and it has taken on a new look. The most time consuming part has been sealing the thin plywood that forms the tank. This plywood is wrapped around a circular framework for a nice tube effect; three pieces make up the tank proper. A specially cut piece forms the dome so it sits on the tank correctly. Seal, sand, repeat. But it does look good. Next, I’ll be putting the catwalk on, followed by a lot of the metal details.

If you enjoy building, you should enjoy this kit!

I’ve been pondering about getting a couple of these. Gonna bring it to the Invasion?

Now that depends on if I get it done. Not much time left…and most of the steps end with the phrase “…and let dry”. Well, I’m using wood glue, not CA, so I get to wait some time. Unfortunately, my free time is constrained!

I might make it for The Invasion. It’s ready for the paint shop.

A lot of fun to make - and I only made a few mistakes, most of which were easily correctable. :wink: I was thinking of priming it first - but I’m not sure if it’s really necessary since I’ve sealed it with about 4 coats so far. I plan on just using some black Krylon. It’s almost a shame to cover up that pretty wood. :slight_smile: There will be some more details to add on when the paint is complete; chains, lid, and decals. A great kit!

Bruce ,
I hate to say this , but prime it first–grey is best for a primer for black .
The reason I say this is , no matter how much you have rubbed it down , you cannot see until you put colour on just how good your finish is . I have no intent to belittle what you have done , but many years experience with wood in particular make me hesitate to go along with no primer . Remember , the primer is easier to rub down than the final coat , so if there are any little blemishes , you’ll be able to spot them and sort them in short order .
Filler takes more readily to primer , too . The raailbus I did in the modelling section has white primer AND filler under the Orange (Volkswagen Brilliant Orange , cans ,spray .)
Mike

Mike, I sure don’t equate good advice with belittling! That’s just what I was looking for. So, grey primer it is - and luckily I had some. And, good advice it was. It did reveal some extra sanding required - of course now I’m down to the steel wool, so it’s quick work.

Thanks!

Carry on with it like you are doing , Bruce ,and it will come out fine .
Just don’t drop it while it’s wet .;<)
Mike

Your doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

All done. Had a few problems with the dry transfers, but if you don’t look too closely everything is OK. :wink:

I have really enjoyed building this one.

Bruce,

What are you bringing to the Invasion? Man! You really have been busy this last year. You better bring all your stuff. :wink:

Bruce ,
Very well done ,that’s a pretty damn good model .
Mike M

Bruce, I hope you’re bringing that to Fred’s…can’t wait to see it in person. Very nicely done!!

Ken Brunt said:
Bruce, I hope you're bringing that to Fred's.....can't wait to see it in person. Very nicely done!!
What Ken said :)

Looks great Bruce. My first reaction to the finished photo - WOW

JR

Incredible job, Bruce.

Bruce, the car looks wonderful… thanks for showing pictures of the steps you went thru to built it…

Seeing it in person, the photos don’t do it justice. Its a great model.

Wow, that is beautiful!

Now I want to do one. Did I over look how to get one?

madwolf

Never mind, I found it.

Sweet! That’s a very authentic looking model!

What is/was “Gramps” anyway? An oil company? Why would anyone name a company “Gramps”??

One of the most popular names in railroading, “Gramps” was the nickname of oilfield owner William Hughes. To please his grandchildren, he had this name painted on the tank cars of the Union Tank Car Company (UTLX) serving the refinery in Alamosa, Colorado.