Large Scale Central

LGB 20490 GE P42DC aka Amtrak Genesis

Hi all,

As some of you know I translate content from the GARTENBAHNprofi - a German Large Scale magazine that covers a wide variety of subjects. The latest issue has a review of the Genesis, the link to the PDF translation is
http://www.easternmountainmodels.com/pdf/3_06_Genesis.pdf

Happy reading!

HJ

PS There is also a Review in the June GR. Interesting to compare!

By way of an update:

There has been much animosity towards the Genesis Review on both MLS and GardenRailways Forum.

It is always a very telling indicator when the RBB (commonly known as the RedBoxBrigade) rides to the defense and can only find semantics to criticize.
In this particular case the caption to one picture which reads
“A rudimentary piece of Scotch tape holds the wiring in place. The engine has a LGB-DCC interface, but lacks a smoke generator.” Apparently “rudimentary” in conjunction with any LGB item is on the “it’s a LGB slam!” list. If only I had known that. :-)))) ;-)) Of course I can always claim that English is only my third language and that should be that. hehehehe

Did Fr. Fred (He of the Holy Water) mention Twits recently?

Well, I just consider the source, and then go have an adult beverage, er libation of Holy Water.
SteveF

Thanks HJ

For the review conversion, nice to read up about it, they set a new course for LGB american models Im sure, I cant imagine what other stuff they have on the planning board.

Thanks again .

Terry Baumann
Nelson BC

Terry Baumann said:
Thanks HJ

For the review conversion, nice to read up about it, they set a new course for LGB american models Im sure, I cant imagine what other stuff they have on the planning board.

Thanks again .

Terry Baumann
Nelson BC

You’re welcome.

They have a few things on the “to do” list. :wink: I oredict that LGB will try very hard to gain back at least some of the market they lost to ARISTO, Bachmann and USAT. They may gain back some of the “close enough for a toy crowd” if they can keep the price within shooting distance. They could gain even more if their stuff would be less in the “GOOFY” scale range, but just saying or writing “As close to 1:29 as we can get it” isn’t convincing anyone who likes 1:29 - even if 1:29 is a compromise.

We shall see; they certainly cut the Genesis “extras” to the bone, if the few diodes it takes to get proper directional lighting are a yard stick… hmmmmmmmm what’s next???

Cranking up the US market is a good move, but I doubt that the A,B,U trio will stand idly by.

For those who don’t follow what’s cooking in Europe all that closely; LGB ventured into the “quasi” Standard Gauge items with the BR101, a few repainted freight cars (they used to be Narrow Gauge proto :wink: :slight_smile: ) and a coach that is as long as the Amfleet cars will be.
All this in a scale that is anywhere from 1:25 to 1:32 (on the “right day” in the design office, all in the same “model”); generally they aim for 1:27. PIKO (over here known for their “G” Scale structures) decided to join the fun with a “model” also 1:27 of another DB BR that’s used as a universal engine for freight etc. and also runs in several other European countries. Soooo the market gets a bit busier; PIKO set an even lower price point and judging by the pre-production samples at the Nürnberg Fair - can you imagine wheels that have proto detail?? :wink: ). And then there is BRAWA who started producing 1:22.5 RhB items which are to scale, very well made and are “definitely not toys”!

Which will watching the Large Scale markets lots of fun - either side of the Pond!

Follow up:

Over on MLS (better known as the “Mighty Large Soap”) they are still chewing on the GARTENBAHNprofi review of this engine.

One of the latest arguments is: What do Europeans know about Northamerican diesels?
Welllllllll, I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, but usually a lot more than Northamericans about any of the European engines (doesn’t matter which power mode).

Another argument is: How much longer have MR and GR been in business doing reviews? Well, that is a very good and valid question!
My reply/question would be: when will they start to compare “models” to the actual prototype.

Of course the “Genesis” isn’t the only “snow job” served up by MR and GR; there have been plenty in the past which have been proof that

a) either they don’t know what they’re talking/writing about

b) they don’t really care what the proto looks like and are perfectly happy to add more toys to their stable.

c) there is the possibility -distinct or slight ??? - that there is a slant to their reviews which has been much less pronounced in the past - let’s say a few years ago and is much more noticeable of late.

Which is OK, we don’t need to buy their product, we don’t need to advertise in their product and there are alternatives. Looks pretty good all the way around! :wink: :slight_smile: :smiley:

As one of my acquaintances puts it “MR stands for …” ooooooops caught myself just in time. :wink: :open_mouth:

PS for what it’s worth: I have read both the GR and the MR review, I refrain from criticizing or praising anything just by hear say without actually reading it first. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:
OTOH I freely admit, it has to be good in order to be called good. Approximations get called that or other terms which apply.