Large Scale Central

Information Request

I am beginning on a virtual modeling project (Solid Works) working from the old MLS Masterclass Carter Brothers coaches originally drawn up by David Fletcher. One of the modifications I am making is to add Kadee couplers. To be able to get to proper coupler height, I need to know the bolster height of the Accucraft 1:20.3 passenger trucks, from top of rail to top of the truck bolster.

Hopefully someone will have a truck available to take a measurement from. Thanks in advance.

To be able to get to proper coupler height, I need to know the bolster height

Bob, does this presume you are truck-mounting the couplers? The MLS coach I built had them body-mounted at my personal coupler gauge height (the same as Kadee, it turned out.)

Pete, I am using the Kadee gauge to mount ‘G’ couplers. That is the logic determining the bolster height of the Accucraft truck. If I know the bolster height, and I know the coupler height, i can determine if there is any requirement to alter Dave’s drawings to accommodate a Kadee ‘G’ couple and meet the gauge height. And I am building the coupler into the car framing, no coupler box needed.

Bob; just a suggestion…

Please try to make the mounting of the “Kadee Couplers”, as easy to maintain, as possible…so that any coupler replacement will be easy, so you won’t need to disassemble the car. So often, when a coupler needs to be replaced due to knuckle failure, etc. the way they were mounted is a PITA…

Thanks

Fred