Large Scale Central

Engine travel tote

Does anyone have building plans for something like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxSkaQSBfds I really like this style where it just sets over the existing track and you just run your engine out of it. I can probably build it from the video, but some sort of plans would be nice.

trainman

The video was by Jim Rowson, so I would suspect that he has some idea about how it was built.

John,

A while back I created a set of instructions on how to build an engine carrier. I have uploaded a pdf of my instructions to my freight shed. It is called “A Versatile Engine Carrier”. I’m not sure how or if it will work, but if you go to Don Watson’s freight shed, click on the Engine Carrier folder and then click on A Versatile Engine Carrier pdf and finally select DOWNLOAD. I hope this works. If not, send me your email address and I will mail it to you.

Doc

Here is a more direct link to Doc’s article…

Click here

Just click on Download and tell it where to save it.

Thanks Joe and the other posters, I went to the site and printed it, this will make a great winter project and a filler form the railroad, camping, wife’s raised garden, and no telling what else, thanks again, trainman

FWIW: Doc’s instructions are exactly how I built mine (too bad I didn’t have his instructions at the time, would have been awesome). I followed the design posted by Chuck Inlow on this thread: [link] in case that helps you…

Chuck built one for me, and I then copied the design. I love mine.

I made one modification that you might consider. I removed the hinged upper side piece, and then installed three 1.5 inch Velcro straps to keep the locomotive secure with the aluminum angle iron. I found that travel tended to bump the loco’s wheels out of the “track,” causing me to have to reset the wheels so I could drive it out of the carrier.

One thing to consider, the measurement between the entrance pillars is crucial.

Steve: Not sure how far you are traveling with yours. Mine just move from in the house somewhere to a straight section of track on the layout, and back. I found I didn’t need the end piece if I just put foam on those hinged upper parts to hold the loco in place. The loco doesn’t move, the foam is pretty gentle, I can put the foam just where I want it, etc. The pins that hold the hinged pieces in place do a fine job of keeping things in place and the loco doesn’t slide out of the open end.

My $.02

And yes, that opening measure has to be spot on…

I miss Chuck !

He…“Shut up Rooster”

Chuck built one for me, and I then copied the design. I love mine.

Yes. A good guy. He offered to cut all the wood for mine.

Jim Rowson said:

Steve: Not sure how far you are traveling with yours. Mine just move from in the house somewhere to a straight section of track on the layout, and back. I found I didn’t need the end piece if I just put foam on those hinged upper parts to hold the loco in place. The loco doesn’t move, the foam is pretty gentle, I can put the foam just where I want it, etc. The pins that hold the hinged pieces in place do a fine job of keeping things in place and the loco doesn’t slide out of the open end.

My $.02

And yes, that opening measure has to be spot on…

Jim, I frequently move my loco to other club members layouts to run. I find that the straps providing downward pressure are important to keeping the loco on the rails… On several occasions I’ve taken my loco across Washington to run on Dave Goodson’s CCRR, a distance of nearly 400 miles.

Its not the loco sliding out the opening that worries me, its the wheels having to be manipulated back on the angle, negating the reason for the carrier.

Folks;

Had to go back to the initial post to figure out what the discussion was about. So it is a carrier that allows the locomotive to run straight onto the track. Very nice. I’m afraid that I am a bit low tech, though. I simply use Kobalt tool boxes from Lowe’s. They have ample room to add foam packing, as my little steamers are fairly small. I have driven from Roanoke, VA to York, PA with my little steamers in the cargo space of my Pilot SUV, and no harm has come to the locomotives. Just giving something to consider for folks who are not as clever with tools as most of you are. Photo below.

Happy steaming, David Meashey

When you start to consider a locomotive carrier, there REALLY IS a LOT to consider, but you really NEED to put it in terms that are important to YOU.

• I like that it IS easy to carry. In other words, the handle is oriented like a suitcase handle and I can easily carry this locomotive.
  • I want to run right out of the box (I should just be able to put this carrier down on the track and run the loco from there. Whether it’s battery (easy!) or track power, doesn’t really matter. (Sure it does!)
  • I want something that doesn’t add a lot of weight to the carrier. (How many carriers do I have that THIS doesn’t even begin to be believable?)
  • Seriously? I just want an easy way to store this. All the REST is NOT important!
  • I don’t really care about the cost, I want something that everyone will go gaga over!
  • I don’t want to do it myself; I’m happy with what other folks decide is best for ME!

There are LOTS of options for a carrier. Before you buy, you might want to think about what YOU want.

Edit: FORGOT some options.

Totes come in all sizes and styles.

The handles can be made with a dowel or an old hockey stick

I have added a pipe insulation around the doweled tote.

This helps when the whole unit weighs 50+lbs

USA’s Hudson is one heavy beast …I have installed velcro straps to hold her in place.

The tote sits on the track when I use the end piece to raise the front letting it sit on the track.

I went with the added metal just incase … My Baby …