Large Scale Central

Using Rust-Oleun on LGB rebuild

Here are some pics of my latest Rust-Oleum 2X paint jobs. The LGB 4075 was purchased used on eBay for $55.00 used, but I would say in just about new condition, which is the way I purchase most of my re-dues. I repainted this car in Rust-Oleum Gloss Kona a dark brown color with just a touch of red in it, I think it makes a good RR color for many rolling stock cars, etc., the car was dull coated after the decals were installed. I did a lot of extra painting, plus put some stuff in the cargo area and even a checker board on the table in the lounge area, will add some figures when I find what I want, I guess cowboys for the Drover Caboose. I used USA Trains marker lamps and cut them down a little to look more to scale and put LED’S in them as well as the car lighting. I also added a 9v battery box under the car, the box comes with a on/off switch on it and now no need to remove the roof to change batteries, etc., as my RR engines, etc.,will be all battery powered and no power to the track. I think the battery box under the car looks like it goes there and could be water tank, etc. Pics included below.

trainman

Checkerboard and modified lamps were neat ideas. Cabooses often did have toolboxes underneath.

Why, oh, why are there two threads on this subject…both the same ?

Fred Mills. said:

Because I tried to post pics under the original topic as I said I would when I finished this car, but for some reason the system would not give me the option to post pics in the original post, so I started a new one so I could post the pics. Maybe it was just me and I just couldn’t get it to work in the original post, now you know the reason. If this is offensive to some then the forum moderator can correct this, or remove it, which ever they desire to do.

trainman

Well done, John

Nice work! Thank you for sharing.

Fred Mills. said:

Just checkin to see if the Forum Police were awake…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

John Lenheiser said:

Fred Mills. said:

Because I tried to post pics under the original topic as I said I would when I finished this car, but for some reason the system would not give me the option to post pics in the original post, so I started a new one so I could post the pics. Maybe it was just me and I just couldn’t get it to work in the original post, now you know the reason. If this is offensive to some then the forum moderator can correct this, or remove it, which ever they desire to do.

trainman

Or as has been the policy here, you can request Bob to remove the offending post(s). It’s our laissez faire policy… Only OP can request a removal.

John,

Clever way to mount the battery box! I’ve been dickering with internal lights on some of our own cars. This bears some investigation!

Aloha,

Eric

Eric Mueller said:

John,

Clever way to mount the battery box! I’ve been dickering with internal lights on some of our own cars. This bears some investigation!

Aloha,

Eric

Eric, it was really easy and the LGB Passenger cars have a spot that the battery box fit in just perfect. I don’t know about other brands of Passenger cars, but the LGB passenger cars only have two truss rods and they are on the outside part of the under body which gives the battery box room for placement. My cabooses have four truss rods and will make placement of the battery box somewhat difficult without cutting the truss rod away which I wouldn’t want to do. I used 3mm LED’s for both car lighting and the marker lamps, they came with a resistor and were setup for a 9v battery use. I also added another resistor a 100 ohm and it even lowered the brightness of the lights much more, I think the lighting is pretty close to what the brightness should be. Running the wires inside the car is probably the most time consuming part of the insulation, this just depends on how much you want to hide them in the car. If you need to ask anything about the install, just ask. These are the LED’s I used, https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x-Pre-wired-9v-3mm-Warm-Soft-White-LEDs-Prewired-9-volt-DC-LED-Light-8v-7v/161606954180?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

trainman