Large Scale Central

Bachmann C-19 opinions please

With the sell-off of the C.V.S.Ry.'s Std. Gauge diesel roster the railroad has the funding to purchase a C-19. Before I plunk down more money then I ever have before on a loco (my wife bought my LS Shay) I’d like to be sure it’s a good fit for my railroad.

I currently run a 1st generation Bachmann Shay or a Bachman 45 Ton diesel for outdoor ops. Both of these will pull my average 5 car train up my 4% + grade from the basement to the front yard. Can I expect equal or better pulling power compared to my Dizzy or Shay?

I don’t expect any issues with turn radius. I am 10 Ft minimum except for a few siding areas that have R1 switches. They have always been switched with only my 0-4-0 Porter. I have everything I need for self contained R/C and sound on-hand except batteries, so that will be an immediate upgrade.

What say you?

I will be following this with great interest. Been thinking of picking one of these up as well. I have a tender I purchased on eBay I use behind an Annie. The quality of the tender is the best I have seen from Bachman. Time is running out on these, soon they will be gone.

Best Bachmann engine I ever bought.

If the price was right, I’d buy another one in a heartbeat. It’s a good puller and Stan has informed me of a way to make it better.

When you come down for the Ops session, I’ll make sure you get a chance to use it and see for yourself.

I have the 346 and its amazing but can you share what changes you made?

It’s an easy engine to convert to R/C battery operation. I believe it’s the best looking and best running engine Bachmann has ever made. Not sure of its pulling power on grades but I’ve pulled eight 1:20.3 cars on a level track with no problems at all.

Doc Watson

Easily the best locomotive Bachmann has produced, and you can still find the undecorated versions making it easy to letter for your Railway .
Very smooth running and should easily pull the grade that you have with five cars.

I am clearly biased as I assisted Lee in The C-19 development. That said I firmly believe that the C-19 is the finest large scale steam locomotive produced by any LS manufacturer to date.

They clearly did it right this time.

A large Pittman 19 volt wound motor, a great gear box, excellent tracking and finely detailed. While the K-27 will always be my favorite (As I have run the prototype), the C-19 is the clear favorite of our crew.

Below is a photo from today’s ops session of a C-19 hauling a train down to Steige.

Stan

Vincent, that picture is absolutely stunning, just lovely. It’s like a painting!

And yellow koi…My favorite!

Jon,

perhaps I can bring mine by sometime soon. do not know how many are left in the pipe line, the prices on eBay vary some what but I would get one from ANA Kramer ASAP. the undecorated ones I think are getting harder to come by, and if you want both domes rounded there is only one choice undecorated with red windows version.

Al P.

Thanks Guys -

I don’t think I need convincing other than what’s been stated here. I was planning on getting an undecorated and letter it for my railroad. I’ve seen a pretty wide price range for these, including some real deals. Hope I can snag the later as my budget is tight.

Well John, this thread of yours could well have cost me a bit. :slight_smile:

We may have to unload the Dash 9 to fund this one.

As of this morning (April 3, 2017) there are several versions for sale on E-bay within a few dollars of $600 including shipping. This is the lowest and best price I have seen on these. The lowest prices are being offered by AL Kramer and Big Boy Toys. I have dealt with both and they are reputable long time dealers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-C-19-G-SCALE-PTD-UNLTRD-BLACK-RED-WHITE-2-8-0-TENDER-83199-NEW-IN-BOX-/371885841375?hash=item56961f9bdf:g:eTAAAMXQn11ReZq3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-C-19-G-SCALE-PTD-UNLETTERED-ALL-BLACK-2-8-0-TENDER-83198-NEW-IN-BOX-/371897279853?hash=item5696ce256d:g:pn0AAMXQNbxReZ1-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACH-83195-DG-RW-C19-345-BUMBLE-BEE-W-DCC-LIGHTS-SMOKE-FIREBOX-NEW-IN-BOX-/112349519931?hash=item1a288da03b:g:mx4AAOSwa-dWnrLJ

Al also has some blowout sales on Spectrum Rolling stock. It is worth taking a look at his other listings if you need boxcars, tank cars or caboose.

Thanks Boomer. I’ve been watching some of those. Will probably pull the trigger tonight.

Just need to decide between the two un-lettered versions. I like both the round domes and the short tender; features not found on one model, so I need to decide which is the ruling feature.

Or buy both, combine the tender with the locomotive you want, and then sell off the other locomotive/tender set. “You know, its rare, since Bachmann didn’t make this version. I can let you have this one of a kind combination for the low, one time only price of…” (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I just ran mine during an ops session on Saturday. It’s a smooth runner and strong puller. I’ve got a 60 foot section at 3.5% grade and a 40 foot section at 4%, and it pulled six cars plus caboose (maximum allowed for operations session) with no problem. I installed Airwire and Phoenix. It took 2 1/2 hours for the complete installation - really quite remarkable.

Bachman could have done us a solid if with the undecorated versions there was a parts bag for all different interchange pieces. heck I probably would buy one or more if available. the tender would have improbable in such a kit but all the other bits.

Al P.

David Maynard said:

Or buy both, combine the tender with the locomotive you want, and then sell off the other locomotive/tender set. “You know, its rare, since Bachmann didn’t make this version. I can let you have this one of a kind combination for the low, one time only price of…” (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Sure, no problem. You want to lend me the cash for #2?

I agree Al - But since they didn’t it would be nice to have parts like domes available. I haven’t looked yet to see if they are. The rounded steam dome top was once available but sold out.

Cynnthia Verbrugge said:

Well John, this thread of yours could well have cost me a bit. :slight_smile:

We may have to unload the Dash 9 to fund this one.

Well John I personally think you convince your wife to purchase you another Shay for those 4% grades and then you could double head them on a massive drag.

What I find disturbing is that YOU are convincing a lady to sell a Dash 9 with this thread! I personally think this evil and and deceitful!! When purgatory comes I will be just down the hall “on the narrow path” serving coffee, tea, cookies and fancy sandwiches in the front parlor (shame you won’t be able to join us) .

Now I want a C-19 and a cup of coffee!