Large Scale Central

Protecting Track On Walkway Crossings

After nine years of damage to my track on walkways I decided to come up with a fix. I replaced broken tie strips and straighten bent track. The sudden burst in maintenance is spurred on with up coming National Convention in July. My railroad is among the open houses. The material I used was Choice Deck composite.

This is the profile I used. It’s 1 1/2 X 9/16.

I used #8X1 1/2 stainless screws to fasten the composite.

This one needed to bend with the track. I carefully heated the composite with a propane torch and just followed the curve until it cooled. I now have three crossing areas protected. Feet, garbage cans, and wheel barrows can no longe hurt the track. Now I have to test it with the Grandkids…Hmmmm

Have you thought to fill in between the rails with the same material to look like a grade crossing?

This is very similiar to what I was thinking of doing when I build mine and Like Sean said fill the inner section to look like a regular grade crossing.

I had not thought of composite decking, that’s a great idea.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Have you thought to fill in between the rails with the same material to look like a grade crossing?

That would be the perfect finishing touch. It would also prevent stuff from getting caught in between the tracks, like feet, toes, wheelbarrow wheels, etc., and futzing with the gauge.

Just remember to allow room for the flanges. Ask me how I know this. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

I did think about filling in the center. By doing so more debris would build up and be trapped between the ties under the center cover. The span is not that great to put a lot of pressure on the track when stepped on. I seemed to have a bigger problem with people tripping or kicking the track. With it open leaves and dirt can be easily blown out. I was also concerned with moisture retention. Time will tell if filling in is necessary.

I like the little cossbucks in pots.

Since they are in pots, and smaller then cossbucks in the wild, can I infer that they are Bonsai crossbucks?

You do know that split jaw makes the same thing, for track on hard surfaces, and they will custom make any length you need. But I doubt they do curves.

Might try from Home Depot some boarder strips/rolls and cut it to fit in between rail and screw it to some tie’s. It easy to replace and can take a lot of ware. I’ve seen them in 4" X 10’ rolls. Also maybe some boarder bath room strip that come in 4 foot flat strips and cut to size.

All easy to replace when needed.

Looks great, Dan. Does that Choice Deck material come in that 1 1/2 x 9/16 profile or did you shape it? Where did you purchase it from?

-Kevin.

Dan,

You do make a good point about stuff getting lodged. I will have to consider that.

Kevin,

The Choice Deck is sold by Lowes and it comes in 1"X6"X8’ and longer. I fabricated it on my table saw.

David Maynard said:

I like the little cossbucks in pots.

Since they are in pots, and smaller then cossbucks in the wild, can I infer that they are Bonsai crossbucks?

You do know that split jaw makes the same thing, for track on hard surfaces, and they will custom make any length you need. But I doubt they do curves.

David, I made those out of PVC board and my Daughter used her Cricut Machine to make the vinyl lettering. They’ve been outside for 8 years with no signs of UV damage.

Dan DeVoto said:

David Maynard said:

-snip-

-snip-

Split jaw does do curves, they did custom curves for one gent. Plot your curves and they cut 'em. This was a couple of years ago…

John

I want to see working crossing gate arms

The crossing signs are great. I like your idea Dan. Does the edge of the composite match up to the rail head? I think you might need a piece between the rails too. A very clever idea to bend the material to fit.

I built a grade crossing years ago using PT 2x4 wood screwed together to form a “U” shape. The how to is in the latest GR issue. Mine is made to be placed in dirt for yard wagons and lawnmowers to go over.

Well done Dan.

I am wondering, and maybe I need to ask it elsewhere, but how well does the decking bend on its face. I mean I have used it some and on its edge its pretty unforgiving but seems pretty flexible on its face. The reason I ask is I am thinking that in at least some places on my outdoor where walkways might be to tight for rock beds I might want to stack these on edge vertically and bend them into organic forms. If they need to be bent more than they want to do you think one could use like a torch or weed burner and melt the backs of them and force them into submission? If this idea would work I might want to do the whole thing this way.

I agree Devon. Composite materials do not have as much lateral strength as real wood. If you build a wood deck, the under frame is usually buile on 2 foot centers. When using Treks (the kind I generally use), the under frame is built on 18 inch centers. With wooden decks, only the deck itself is made from composite. All the under frame (both horizontal AND vertical) are made of real wood.

John Caughey said:

Dan DeVoto said:

David Maynard said:

-snip-

-snip-

Split jaw does do curves, they did custom curves for one gent. Plot your curves and they cut 'em. This was a couple of years ago…

John

Yes, they still do curves. I’d contacted them towards the end of last year with the idea of doing a few 20’ diameter curves. I’ve since changed how I’m going to do my crossing…maybe. I can’t make up my mind. lol. But he did tell me that he could make whatever I wanted.

Matt,

Having Split Jaw make them would take all the fun out of me making them. Nice to put that info out for those who would not want to make them.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Dan,

Couple of questions. How well did this stuff cut on your table saw, I assume thats what you used? Melting issues? I have cut it with a chop saw but never really tried milling it. The other question is how did the heating and bending process go? I am thinking of using someof this on my outdoor for various things and would like any tips you have learned working with it. I have built my deck and a bench with it so not totlly unfamiliar.

Dan DeVoto said:

Matt,

Having Split Jaw make them would take all the fun out of me making them. Nice to put that info out for those who would not want to make them.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Very True. I’m thinking I am going to attempt my own way here shortly. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)I like your idea, but that won’t work for where I need the crossing.