Forums General Reviews
  • Topic: MTH Daylight first run

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 10, 2015 10:41 PM EST
      • Newton, KS

• Thanks

MTH Daylight first run

Great first run today with my 'new' MTH Daylight. Really impressed with the whistle.

• November 11, 2015 2:17 PM EST
      • UK/Ontario/Oregon

• Thanks

Sounds just like the 1:1, trust me on that one.  Great loco, Jerry, enjoy!

tac

Mt Gleep & Lake Flarp RR

• November 12, 2015 11:27 AM EST
      • Newton, KS

• Thanks

I do tac, just hope I can resist buying MTH Daylight cars. Got several passenger trains already, don't want to buy any more cars to store. Those Santa Fe ones it is pulling came with the lot of MTH, they will go with my F-3's I got about a month ago, terrible whistle on them!

• November 12, 2015 5:05 PM EST
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Especially since an F3 should have a horn.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• November 13, 2015 9:50 AM EST
      • Gig Harbor, WA

• Thanks

I believe those Daylight locos had both a steam whistle and a air horn.  They were built for runs between San Francisco and Los Angeles.  Where they ran along the water there often was fog.  The air horn cut through the fog better than the steam whistle.  Going from memory on this so correct me if  I'm wrong.

Paul Burch

Sierra Cascade & Pacific RR

• November 13, 2015 11:02 AM EST
      • Burbank, CA

• Thanks

Paul Burch said:

I believe those Daylight locos had both a steam whistle and a air horn.  They were built for runs between San Francisco and Los Angeles.  Where they ran along the water there often was fog.  The air horn cut through the fog better than the steam whistle.  Going from memory on this so correct me if  I'm wrong.

You're correct Paul. Trains #98 and #99

• November 13, 2015 5:59 PM EST
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Yes, and some of the later steam locomotive only had an air horn. I believe the NYC did that, but I could be wrong. But Jerry said the F3 has a terrible whistle. That's probably because F3's only had an air horn.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• November 13, 2015 8:52 PM EST
      • Elverta, CA

• Thanks

"Daylight Engines" were used throughout the west coast as far east as New Mexico, but were originally created for the Coast Limited "Daylight" run in 1936 (two twelve car streamlined high speed trains powered by six GS-2's with new orange/red/black color scheme). Coast Daylight trains #98-99 were fourteen years after the inaugural run of the Daylight Limited in 1922, as train #71-72 long after the Daylight term had been coined and was originally simply the daylight version of the run between LA-SF.

Starting with the GS-3's and through GS-6's a deep-tone step-top Hancock Long-Bell Chime steam whistles were fitted horizontally behind the dome. These whistles were known for their haunting, melodious tone and were used on high pressure loco's as 250psi made the typical whistle "break" or scream.... UP used this whistle on their high pressure equipment too.

Leslie Typhoon air horns were fitted on all of the streamlined GS engines left of the smoke deflectors.

The Air horn was used on grade crossings to alert autos of FAST approaching trains and at the station one-mile marker.

The Steam whistle was used to signal trainmen as the air horn was directional and near impossible to hear riding on the train.

FWIW: the steam whistle and air horn were operated by air valves, so either ON/OFF, it was not possible to produce sound variations.

Trivia garnered from books by Mr. Robert Church.

Michael

This post was edited by Michael Glavin at November 13, 2015 9:48 PM EST
    • November 15, 2015 11:15 AM EST
      • Newton, KS

• Thanks

Neat to get all this info on it, thanks!

• November 19, 2015 8:01 PM EST
      • Elkton, MD USA

• Thanks

Jerry,

That whistle sounds just like the UP whistles I remember as a kid. Beautiful.

Noel

• November 19, 2015 10:26 PM EST
      • Peoria, AZ

• Thanks

I rode in the cab of 4449 as a guest of Doyle McCormick  back in the Freedom Train days between San Jose and San Francisco and several times over the years on the same excursion runs with the Daylight livery, and I remember Doyle being able to get some "music" out of the engine. I didn't ask whether it was steam or air horn, though. I will never forget the thrill of those rides ...

- Never Ask Permission. Only Forgiveness
      - Check Out my Website: http://www.sourdoh.com

• November 20, 2015 11:16 AM EST
      • Newton, KS

• Thanks

I sure evoked a lot of fond memories/info on this post. Guess that is why the locomotives are hard to come by. Looking for some MTH Daylight coaches , if anyone has any.  I know Accucraft has some, but they are $300.

• November 30, 2015 1:26 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Hi Jerry:

That whistle is amazing. Too bad MTH did not go with the major 1:29 market back in the day. The Accucraft coaches would be the correct scale length. The MTH coaches are way too short. MTH selects the correct 1:32 scale and then builds the coaches way too short. I do not understand why. The MTH Hudson is also a great model with great features and great paint but it came out after the USA version so MTH missed out on my purchase and I missed out on the MTH laboured chuff which is super neat.

Norman

• November 30, 2015 1:57 PM EST
      • Newton, KS

• Thanks

Norman,

I like the size of the MTH trains.  Look good, to me, on my small layout. I have pretty large curves, but would not want the cars any longer than they are. Detail is good and they seem to stand up to rough handling, seems I break stuff off other brands easier. MTH is bringing out some Daylight cars next year, so I'll probably get some of them.

• December 4, 2015 10:14 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Norman, MTH shortened cars for the same reason LGB and to a certain extent some Aristo, to be able to navigate tighter, toylike curves.

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• December 5, 2015 1:02 AM EST
      • Southern Oregon

• Thanks

Jerry, Here is a video that my Brother in law and I did a few years ago.  The diesel was on the back end coming down the canyon for braking.

Rick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz4KDr4xzQ

Forums General Reviews

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google