Large Scale Central

For My New Train Club Buddies

So I joined the Inland Northwest Garden Railway Society this Saturday. While at the club meeting I got to meet a few people that are also on this site. I had to leave early though to go on a date with my daughter.

She missed prom Saturday because her and her boyfriend broke up a week and a half before prom. So to ease the pain a bit she wanted her dad to take her fishing. Well as much as I love trains nothing beats fishing (or my daughter). So we headed out to a local lake (Hayden) to do some pike fishing. It was slow but she caught her first pike, 13# 32" long. Up to this point the biggest fish she has caught has been about a 2.5-3# bass. So this was way more fish than she was used to but she handled it like a champ and did just what her dad told her to get it into the boat. I ate a big slab of it yesterday for dinner and it is sure good.

Wow she’s quite a catch!

Ah…The fish that is (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

That’s awesome Devon. I have to agree trains are fun but our kids are always more important. It was good spending some time with you on Saturday and welcome to our club.

Chuck

Not to many dads get to spend time like this with their teenage daughters. She is a daddy’s girl and I am lucky that she loves to do the things I do.

Very nice!!

Hard to tell from that picture but with the coloring and the rounded fins you sure that isn’t a Tiger Muskie. Don’t know if they even stock them out your way. Makes no difference as I would fish for them all day long …they put up a great fight!!

Devon Sinsley said:

Not to many dads get to spend time like this with their teenage daughters. She is a daddy’s girl and I am lucky that she loves to do the things I do.

Does that mean that she is a train geek like her pappy, and we’ll be seeing her at the club meetings?

David Russell said:

Very nice!!

Hard to tell from that picture but with the coloring and the rounded fins you sure that isn’t a Tiger Muskie. Don’t know if they even stock them out your way. Makes no difference as I would fish for them all day long …they put up a great fight!!

No that is a 100% northern pike. While a couple of lakes in our area have had tiger muskies planted, this lake is not one of them. We have a very healthy northern pike population. No season, no size or possession limit. They are an introduced species and while the fish and game has not declared all out war on them they have no interest in managing them and would just as soon they were gone. All our lakes are a product of bucket biology. We have some true giants; the record for the state (Idaho) is 40 pounds and change in a lake about 10 miles away from where I was fishing. The previous record was a tie and one was from the lake I was fishing at 38# and change. Just this past weekend a 36# one was caught that was spawned out already. She would have been the new record had she had eggs.

So as local pike go this is not a giant but I don’t care who you are a 13# pike is a fun fight. Daddy is proud of his girl.

Steve Featherkile said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Does that mean that she is a train geek like her pappy, and we’ll be seeing her at the club meetings?

No that is one area she has zero interest in. She likes wood working but only cuz I make her stuff she doesn’t care to do it. She loves the outdoor stuff, hunting and fishing, and car racing and working on cars.

Devon,

Nice fish, beautiful daughter. You should be proud, and I see you are! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)Too bad she missed her prom.

She is a junior there is always next year. I did feel bad for her but that smile made up for it. While all of her friends posted prom pictures to FB she posted this picture. She loves to fish so I think she was OK missing prom after she caught this big boy. (and yes he was a boy and that’s a big male pike.)

Warning about daughters who like to do things with their dads. THEY GROW UP WAY TOO FAST! I have two, one 18 an another 10 and I can’t understand where the time has gone. At least the youngest still likes to work on the railroad with me. Enjoy while you can.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Steve

Very nice Devon. Both the catch and your daughter.

Yeah Steve they do. I am pretty sure 6 weeks ago she was two. My son is 15. Don’t know where time has gone.