Large Scale Central

7/8" Scale Comparo Photo Thread (apples vs. oranges)

If you have 7/8 scale pics that compare to other Garden Scales please post in this thread!

All photos of the following 7/8" Kits are shown with the wheelsets not in the journals. It could be said they are about 1/8"+/- taller than they should be.

this shows the critter actually sitting on the track with no wheels

no wheels at all under that one

Critter in 7/8 vs Bachmann Big Hauler Combine

Critter vs LGB Caboose

4 passenger coach in 7/8 vs Bachmann BH Combine

critter vs LGB #50

coach vs combine

fn3 side-dump vs 7/8 dump gon

Critter behind 1/29 Aristo caboose

7/8 pass van behind BH Combine with 1/29 caboose on far left

dump vs dump

Coach vs boose

7/8th scale is fun! Here is the difference between 1:20 (ish) and 1:13.7 … my new 7/8th scale box car and an old 1:20 scale box of similar prototype. These things look BIG.

Note that these are models of Maine two foot gauge equipment, industrial, mining and agricultural stuff tends to be smaller. this box car is similar in size to a UPS truck

That is quite a difference in bulk of the model. There are so many interesting scale and gauge combinations out there, I want to try them all - but there is only one of me, and only so many days in a century!

I believe it was a ‘Tweetsie’ (ET&WNC) boxcar was shipped from New Jersey to North Carolina inside a standard modern closed semi-trailer closed van. That might also give some perspective as to size.

That is certainly possible. The WW&F has moved its milk car on a flat bed trailer as used to haul a back hoe. The milk car is 6’-2" wide 30’long. Maybe 9’ tall. I imagine the three foot gauge Tweetsie car is bigger.

Whilst experimentation and a dabble in other scales sounds most interesting it will not feature here on the O&NF. I do not want to have to rebuild my covered bridge, train barn or make alteration to the ROW to accommodate scales larger than the current 1:29 and 1:22.5 stock. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

here is a shot of My modified Emma (7/8th scale) and Frank and his Modified Ruby (1:20 scale). 'bout the same size engines different scale.

Re sizing the infrastructure is certainly a concern. It slowed my switch. I have rebuilt my covered bridges a couple of times now and widened my curves…it is all fun! I find the scale very interesting and it gives lots of fun scratch building in a size I can manage (and see)!