Large Scale Central

trains/wood turning comes together

OK so got my live center for my ShopSmith lathe and wanted to do a bit of experimenting. I want to see how small of an object I could turn on this thing. Well one thing that has been in the back of my mind is turning porch posts and newels for a layout building. So I gave it a shot and I am dang happy with how it turned out. I have some very small chisels for turning and I also thought about using an old exacto knife blade. These worked well the chisels roughing it out and the knife turned the fine details and the 150 then 320 sand paper did the larger details. I turned one in cedar and it worked out ok but then swithed to maple and that was much better. A lot more controled removal.

The post scales out 6"X6"x8’ roughly. It would allow for a 36 in high rail and at the top about an 18 inch decrotive piece

The only downside to this and it is a big one is I have no clue how to dulicate it. I don’t think I can make a mini dulicator as the wood flexes to much. One idea I have it so make a template out brass or maybe steel and see if I can make it basically a knife that would cut the pattern all at once.

Not being able to replicate them makes it a show stopper.

You cut with bread ties?

Fascinating!

Make the design simpler.

John Caughey said:

You cut with bread ties?

Fascinating!

Yes John worked great thank you.

Steve Featherkile said:

Make the design simpler.

Where would the fun be in that. As I was thinking on this a bit more an old razor saw blade could be shapped into a knife to make the cut all at once I think. In essence I would be making a molding knife. Might have to give that a whirl. Even if I had to make a couple of knives/chisels for specific small details then blend them in.

I will figure it out.

Hi Devon

Have you considered making a master and then casting duplicates in resin?

Mick

I have a unimat I slowed down to turn wax for lost wax castings.

I made knives/cutters out of silver, shaped to the contour I wanted. Go for it!

I was thinking, uh oh, maybe a roller system would help keep your toothpicks straight… something in the middle of the bow.

John

Mick Benton said:

Hi Devon

Have you considered making a master and then casting duplicates in resin?

Mick

Mick,

This would be a good alternative if making a single knife or a few special knives doesn’t work. Probably is the way to go regardless.

John Caughey said:

I have a unimat I slowed down to turn wax for lost wax castings.

I made knives/cutters out of silver, shaped to the contour I wanted. Go for it!

I was thinking, uh oh, maybe a roller system would help keep your toothpicks straight… something in the middle of the bow.

John

I am going to give this a try and experiment with woods.

I think that if you make a patterned knife, you would need to only make the details…you probably couldn’t cut the whole length in one go anyhow…something would break.

The first one looks fine. I’ll bet you could get a second and third pretty close. Doing a dozen would drive you crazy!