Large Scale Central

Kites or trains? Decision for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is first Saturday of month which means model RR club meeting and open house.
But look at the weather! "Saturday Sunny, with a high near 65. South southwest wind 8 to 11 mph. "
Model RR club is in what used to be police station, complete with 4 jail cells, in the basement of old City Hall building, now Council Chambers.
Kites are outside in the sunshine and air.
But the ground will be a bit soggy as an inch or two of recent snow melt off; but look at the temperature an wind.
But if I go to train club, I can take some of my eternally in-progress projects from my part of the HO modular layout outside to spray paint.
My health is a mess and one activity a day is pretty much all I’m good for. So I have to choose.
Hmmm …

IF the kites include other family members go with them.

Otherwise take advantage of the spray painting weather and stay out of the indoors as much as possible. But just remember to spray from the upwind side !

That is why I have at least one wind catcher in the yard to confirm wind direction before-during-after painting.

imho

doug c

Have a sheltered spot on north side of building. That is my standard spray location unless winds are straight from E or W; in those cases they come right down the alley like a wind tunnel.
I’m the only family member within 103 miles of the park, so is usually just me and 3 tote bags worth of kites.
Both club and the park are a hair over 2 miles north of here and less than a mile apart, which makes spending a bit of time at both practical if my health is perchance behaving better that day.

Flying kites sonds fun but it’s Mardi Gras weekend here, so I’ll be at the parade’s yelling…

“Throw Me Sumpthin’ Mistah’!”

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!

Dave

If you actually have to ask yourself this question; take your trains outback throw them in a pile and set them on fire.

Just kidding. If it’s a perfect day for flying kites, fly them. You can run trains on imperfect days and there seems to be a lot more of those.

Have fun my friend!!

T

I think we all missed the opportunity to help Forest on this one. The next time this conundrum comes up…

Just tie the kite string to the tender and have fun doing both! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Randy Lehrian Jr. said: Just tie the kite string to the tender and have fun doing both! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

You know, you may be on to something. Or on something. Either is okay by me (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)
And I’d forgotten about posting this.

I never deny anything… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)Well, This struck a a chord with me when I saw it come back up. We recently vacationed at the beach. While there I had the opportunity to give my 3 1/2 yer old son his first experience flying a kite. I had forgotten what fun could be had. All went very well until he did eventually let go of the string and the thing took off fortunately straight down the length of the beach avoiding the tall hotels or flying out to sea. I chased it at least a 1/4 mile down the beach where the handle finally caught on son dune grass and I was able to save it. When my soggy faced son and wife finally caught up to me he was so happy I had rescued his kite and is still talking about it. The simple things are some of the best pleasures.

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

… he was so happy I had rescued his kite and is still talking about it. The simple things are some of the best pleasures.

That definitely counts as awesome!

I tried to fly here today but the wind was too chaotic. Kite went way to the left, went way to the right, almost dropped out of the sky when the wind quit, rolled upside down when wind came back from different direction, rinse and repeat. Okay, that’s it, I’m going back and playing with trains.