Large Scale Central

MTH Hudson first run, GREAT smoke!

First run today of a MTH Hudson I got from a guy last week. This was just on straight DC power, will get the rest of the DCS Proto Sound stuff hooked up tomorrow. With DC you get smoke and sound, but can’t adjust it much. I was impressed by the smoke unit, did well even in a little breeze. Seems you could put in more than the 40 drops they talk about. Anyone have a MTH smoke unit? How much fluid to use.

Here it is pulling two MDC reefers and a Aristo Gondola, the caboose was still in the covered bridge. I thought the cars looked fine with the Hudson and it’s scale of 1/32.

Video, shows the smoke works with the chuff. http://youtu.be/o5qerDKrg5M

Jerry, that’s a great looking loco. A Hudson is generally a nicely proportioned piece of equipment. Now, please don’t get upset, but would it be possible to shorten the distance between the loco and tender?

Don’t own an MTH steamer. (I have the MTH GG1), but I do have the smoke unit out of an MTH GS4.
Now I need to find something to do with it (loco wise). And you are right. It is a smoker.
I put mine in a building out on the layout and the smoke just poured out the windows. Very cool.

John, what voltage did you apply to the heater?

I have a Hudson smoke unit that I will use in a loco…

Greg

Greg,
It was just a small 12 volt pack. I bench tested the unit with a meter and a Lgb starter set transformer until I got it smoking good. 12 to 14 volts worked great.

Hey Jerry!

Just seeing if your Hudson has a waddle as it runs on the track?

Been testing mine out a bit in my basement after un-packing it (been boxed up for the last 5-years), and not sure if there is something wrong, or if it always did it…can’t remember!

Thanks,

Vinny

(http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b107/139vinny/DSC07344_zps531842cc.jpg)

Might check your traction tires. I had one expand and make a bump. I replaced it. Ran it the other day, still wobbled a big, seemed to be just the rear truck though. You can get parts/tires from Ray Manley. Direct MTH buying seems sorta iffy. He’s a authorized MTH guy. sp4449 (at sign) kc.rr.com

I will have to check the traction tires.

Thanks for the info Jerry!