Large Scale Central

Pratt Truss Bridge for Iron Island RR

The time has finally come to replace the temporary double track bridge over the pond. As much as I’m going to miss the rustic look of unrealistic, out of scale 2 x 6 lumber, I’m sure it’s for the better. Since the span is 5 feet long (in 1:1 scale, of course) and double track, I decided to go with a Pratt style curved top design. Here are a few shots of progress, so far…

-Kevin.

Nice Kevin. What did you use for the bottom section in black?

Chuck

Great start!!

Following with interest up here, D.D! :smiley:

Is that a milk crate bottom? Nice work. I still don’t here any sound!

Nico

Gents- Thanks for the kind words. The bottom is made from a plastic milk crate.

Nico- Your right… I really should work on that sound issue first. But building a bridge seemed less frightening!!!

-Kevin.

In this great hobby there are plenty of choices. We each get to choose our own priorities.

I know a lot of guys wouldn’t be without train sounds, but they aren’t even even on my radar! Personally, when I go out into the garden to play trains, I like to hear all the birdies singing in the trees around me. :wink:

That’s why I like living on a dirt road and we have a flock of quail that have moved in and I get them for background “noise” nearly all day.

Quail, huh, Doug? I’m thinking maybe with rosemary stuffing… :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

They already look stuffed!

The start looks great Kevin. Good idea on the milk crate

Nice start Kevin. I like the milk crate idea. What did you use for the upright pieces? Looks like you cut a rectangular piece.

Great idea Kevin. I may steal that milk crate technique. I need to replace my 5 foot span soon. The “temporary” plywood version is beginning to rot after almost 10 years out in the weather. It needs to have a very thin deck (about .75 inch) in order to clear a large root that the bridge crosses. I was thinking of a through plate girder style. I have some aluminum extrusions I can use for the girder but was stumped on the base material.

Dave- The uprights are made from aluminum screen framing material. I found it at Home Depot in the “Window and Door” section. It is normally used to make the frames for window screens. It’s very inexpensive- $3.00 for a 7 foot piece. It also comes in white or brown and is definitely a good material for keeping the bridge budget reasonable.

Jon- The milk crate deck will definitely give you the clearance you need above the root.

-Kevin.

Very inventive, Kevin! No rust, no peeling paint, no worries! Way to go. I bet that bridge will be good and strong, too! Thanks for posting this build; it’s a goodie!

A little progress on a big bridge…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/dieseldude/_forumfiles/IMG_3339.JPG)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/dieseldude/_forumfiles/IMG_3342.JPG)

Stay tuned… -Kevin.

Oh WOW !!! That looks simply GREAT !!!

Hey, Kevin, when you’re done, you’ve got to tell us what your total cost was. This is awesome!

Sorry to be critical, but if you want to go to the trouble of building a great bridge…do it correctly…bridge ties, and guardrails, should be included… This is meant in a constructive way…so please do not cuss me out…

Along with my water barrels on my trestles I’m going to do the guardraols. Would it be more prototypical to make them out of wood?