Large Scale Central

How about Folk Singing?

Hey All;

Perhaps I did not dig down far enough into old posts, but do we have any folk singers in the Other Hobby bunch? I sang a lot of the kind of songs made popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s by artists like: Peter, Paul and Mary, Pete Seeger, The Goodtime Singers, The New Kingston Trio, and The Smuthers Brothers. I would accompany myself on a 21 cord autoharp. I still do some folk music from time to time. Most recently for a church event this past November. Unfortunately, my Joan Baez folk song anthology got packed so well for an anticipated move a few years ago, that I never have been able to find it. Fortunately, I still know most of the songs and cords by heart. (I still may have to buy another edition.)

Anyway, I know that a bunch of us here were in our teens and early 20s during that era. So, how many of the rest of you know that a Hoot’n’Nanny is something other than a cross between a barn owl and a goat?

Best,
David Meashey

Dave,

Yep, way back when in the mid 60’s I progressed (regressed?) from bluesy amplified rock to accoustic folk. Six, nine and twelve string guitar, a five string banjo and at one time I even had a mandolin. Add the harmonica and kazoo to that and it was close to a one man band. Spent most of '66 hitchhiking and busking all over Northern Europe.
In the early 70’s I added an autoharp to the six string and the banjo that made it across the pond.
Haven’t really played for 12 years, too many other interests/hobbies. Still have the six string and the autoharp along with many, many LPs which taught me the licks and runs.

Not ‘folk’, persay, but we play a lot of music. Though, I’m good friends with Seth and Bethany Seeger, Seth being one of Pete Seeger’s many nephews. Martha got to dance with him at Seth’s wedding.

But, back to instruments, I play, badly, concertina, mandolin, guitar, irish flute, pennywhistle, fife. Probably others that I can’t recall right now. I also have an accordion, but havent managed to make anything that sounds like music come out of it.

Well, I’ll throw in here, too.

My ax is the Horn, sometimes called the “French” Horn to distinguish it from the “English” Horn, which is not a horn, at all.

I also play the Recorder (all of them), and a washtub base.

I have, in the past, played a violin, and the piano.

I own a guitar and a balalaika.

On my bucket list is to learn the bagpipes. I have a bagpipe chanter and annoy the dog with that.

I can’t carry a tune in a bucket… but then again, neither could Dylan and he got rich at it :stuck_out_tongue:

I play the radio…pretty darn good too…:wink:

Mik said:
I can't carry a tune in a bucket.... but then again, neither could Dylan and he got rich at it :P
Nik; May I suggest that you use a smaller portable radio that will fit in a bucket. Turn on the radio, tune in your favorite station. Then place radio in the bucket. Now firmly grasp the handle of the bucket, lift and proced to carry your tune where ever you go. Now you can carry a tune in a bucket.

Well, since this thread is already derailed, just put a Bugs Bunny or similar cartoon toy in the bucket. Then you have a 'toon in a bucket a’la “Who Framed Roger Rabbit.”

You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles,
David Meashey

Well, I am not a folk singer. But I am a fanatical classical musician (that’s “fanatical” not “fantastic” though I am pretty good). I play the trumpet in a concert band and a symphony orchestra. Probably spend 10 to 15 hours a week at it.

Steve, My cats run to the furthest place in the house when I practice the canter. I think I have figured out the secret to learning to play the bagpipes, it is… You have to let all the gaud awful screeches, and shrieks out of the canter, before you can actually play a tune. I’m pretty sure that I have a lot of annoying sounds still left in mine tho…

Dave Taylor said:
Steve, My cats run to the furthest place in the house when I practice the canter. I think I have figured out the secret to learning to play the bagpipes, it is...... You have to let all the gaud awful screeches, and shrieks out of the canter, before you can actually play a tune. I'm pretty sure that I have a lot of annoying sounds still left in mine tho..
One of my Commanding Officers played the pipes. He would often be seen behind the Pilot House, marching back and forth to a drummer that only he could hear, playing his pipes, oblivious to the stares of the crew.

A grizzled old Chief Warrant Officer and i were observing the show one afternoon. You know the type, he served with Noah as a Mess Boy. He leaned over and asked me, in all seriousness, "Doc, how do you tell the difference between bagpipes well played, and bagpipes poorly played?

I was at a loss for an answer, as I really don’t think that there is much difference. :lol:

Who’s listening you or the dogs? I think that it is truly a perspective thing!!

Bagpipes? Like a bunch of cats having a vasectomy :slight_smile:

Like Steve, I play recorders - all of 'em, and I like most kinds of music, from hymns, traditional/show tunes, C&W for the lyrics, classics - esp baroque with guitar for the recorder - a great combo, and my favourite - jazz. I especially like Dixieland, Latin, & Boogie Woogie, despise west coast/hot. To answer Dave’s question, I sure do remember Hoot’n Annie and all those groups you mentioned. I have heard their stuff again recently, but my tastes have become too sophisticated for it now, I guess… I enjoy the complexities of Jazz and Bach/baroque music too much nowadays! I used to spend hours in coffee houses and attend folk festivals with the best of 'em. Man I thought I was so cool! But although Viet Nam is over, the trip back to hear that old Folkways stuff was pretty cool nostalgia. Couldn’t take it every day though. Hans: while you were there doing your thing, I was hitch-hiking through Europe, mostly France, and doing odd jobs over there, for a year in 66-67. Never got East of Holland or North of Sheffield, England, though. Had French and English, not a word of German or Scandic languages. I entered Germany, but language too big a problem. Most of the young Germans I met on the road or in hostels spoke English abd French very well, though. Metta lotta Auzzies in those days, doing their ‘round the world thing… One especially vivid musical memory is, I was sitting in a bar in the South of France overlooking the Med - this was in Perpignan - jukebox came on - Jefferson Airplane’s “Somebody to Love”. I remember thinking, “Woah… something really BIG is going on in music back there!” Well, after my year was up I came home with a trio of LP’s I spent some of my precious little loot on over there - Jacques Brel (Folk?), Nana Mouskouri (Pop) and Play Bach (Jazz)… and then I started up a new fad which I called hippiedom… do you remember that? Ha ha!!! Ross: Taxes like that, it’s time to take out the pitchforks and firebrands. Maybe get rid of the Royals? “Off with their heads!!!” Well, your taxes pay for their weddings and their goofy Princess Beatrice cousins’ servants and their fascinators and their days at Ascot and their polo ponies and their corgies and their armed guards …

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/choochoo_chaboogie/_forumfiles/fascinator01.JPG)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/choochoo_chaboogie/_forumfiles/fascinator03.JPG)

“The peasants are revolting!!!”

Your right there John and our Royals pretend they are Scottish (bagpipes etc…kilts…Balmoral holiday home in Scotland) when in fact they are German. Family name originally GUELPH. Ring a bell?

Guitar in a Country/Rock band from about 1967 to 1974.
No singing, just rhythm or lead.
Sold both my Gibson and my Fender Stratocaster.
A little electric bass and a pedal steel. (but not while
performing…:slight_smile: :slight_smile: )

Yeah, I know. The Kaiser was their cousin. That makes WW 1 one of their little family spats, doesn’t it?

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/choochoo_chaboogie/_forumfiles/fascinator02.JPG)

John Le Forestier said:
Yeah, I know. The Kaiser was their cousin. That makes WW 1 one of their little family spats, doesn’t it?

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/choochoo_chaboogie/_forumfiles/fascinator02.JPG)

The Czar was a cousin, too, as I recall. More fun than the Hatfields and the McCoys.

Ross Mansell said:
[b]British. We pay more taxes than anyone else .[/b]
Nah, you don't measure up in that department either. ;) :D
  1. Denmark

2. Sweden

3. Italy

Matter of fact you’re not even among the Top Ten http://www.cnbc.com/id/42192653/World_s_Highest_Tax_Rates?slide=2

Mik said:
I can't carry a tune in a bucket.... but then again, neither could Dylan and he got rich at it :P
Couldn't agree more. Never could fathom his popularity. Never could stand even trying to listen to his caterwailing. Put on Dylan, and John will change the station; it's just too painful on the ears. Music? Poetry? My rat's a ss.