Large Scale Central

Hartland Disneyland loco sold at 1600.00

Hi guys:

What is your opinion of this ebay sale?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200654077250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The loco bottom crosshead guide is missing, obtainable from HLW, and yet sold at 1602.11 .

I guess I should have placed my LGB Forney on ebay rather than trading it in at 400.00. But I tried all the major dealers and none of them wanted it for their
inventory at 500.00. Maybe they should have offered me 500.00 and resold the loco on ebay at 1500.00 !
The LGB Disney cars were on clear out from Train World at 75.00 each. Maybe TrainWorld should also have sold their inventory on ebay!

OK, so can anyone explain the amount of the winning bid?

No dealer wants any LGB or HLW Disney product and yet 1602.11 is the winning bid. I don’t get it. The dealers should know the marketplace better than anyone.

Norman

And, $70.00 for shipping!

Somebody wanted that engine real bad??? I bought a live steam Ft. Wilderness loco for only $500, brand new.

(http://rgsgardenrailroad.com/FtWild005a.jpg)

It just shows how stupid some people are. LOL I know there was a HLW Disney set where the cars were going for $150 each. You can get a HLW flat for $14 and have stan do some decals and still be way under the price. I cant beleive some people. Look at what starting bids are on some products. They dont sell in 20 days so the person puts it back up for the same start bid. I have been watching that civilwar set and its funny because there is another starting at 499.

Good Morning Ken

Mornin, Shawn…how’s the loggin business?..:wink:

It is a similar situation of the auction site over this side of the Atlantic. Like many other folks I was puzzled by the outrageously high prices some are prepared to pay for large scale items. I guess it must also apply to other hobbies and personal needs as I don’t think LS can be unique.

It can only be one of two reasons, I feel. Someone being completely oblivious of the true value of the item being offered or…the old greed syndrome: i.e. I am having that, no one else is, so I will pay whatever is necessary.

I look at Ebay but bought nothing on offer from that site, but I have noticed that often another item, the same as the overpriced one arises within a few months at a realistic price so, as far as I can see, it is often worthwhile waiting for a better opportunity.

Murphy’s Law of eBay: If you want to buy it; there will be a bidding war and it will sell for 10 times retail. If you want to sell it; you’ll be lucky to cover your listing and shipping costs.

eBay is crazy. My wife has an eBay store and sells (using auction) costume jewelry and women’s clothes. We go to garage sales and thrift stores to find stuff to sell. She finds name brand clothes for a couple of bucks. Some things sell for enough for her to make a dollar or two of profit. Then some things just go crazy. And it’s not predictable. One week she won’t even get a watcher on a piece of costume jewelry, the next she has 5 people bidding on the same item.

I do buy large scale on eBay, but I know what I’m willing to pay for something. Most times I lose the bidding “war”, but sometimes I’m lucky and that week no one else is looking for that particular item. Patience is rewarded about 4 times a year, I guess.

Ken Brunt said:
Mornin, Shawn............how's the loggin business?...............;)
Morning hell?? He was probably up all night

And then there are guys who bid things up for freinds, and you see the great feedback, and the item is either relisted due to non-payment, or the new ‘owner’ is selling again, as a method of not getting less than they want.
I have seen a few harleys on ebay over and over…
an ethical issue to be sure, but when it comes to money, it seems there are those who have no problem doing such.
and I can’t get 80 bucks for a marginally used HLW 0-4-0…

Curious. Who made the Disney loco cited above on E-Bay? My guess is Hartland or ?

<<Constructed of brass, steel and precision cast styrene, the Ernest S. Marsh engine and tender represent the first in a series of Disney park engines

The craftsmanship is all American–built in LaPorte, Indiana by Hartland Locomotive Works. The motor is supplied by TRW, and built to U.S. Government specs for use in military vehicles to drive small mechanisms. The wheels are steel, as is the frame. The brass fittings are solid brass, not plated. The precision styrene is UV stabilized to protect against sun fade. The paint colors were digitally scanned from the original paint samples. All detailed striping, decals, and the Ernest S. Marsh name on the cab, were scanned from original artwork.

This originally sold for $450.00 and the price tag is still on the original box.>>

Thanks John-
Obviously, per the specfications you outlined, this is definately a collector item. Likely, it was the Disney name setting the standard for the construction quality. Certainly, there is a further backstory here. Hmmmm, wonder if Walt specifically was setting the manufacturing criteria for the manufacturer. Hartland, if I am accurate, followed Kalamazoo mfg. efforts in using the original 0-4-0 design. So how did Hartland get involved? Did they send in a winning RFP? Considering Disney artifact prices – a good friend was one of the many animators – I’m not surprized at the price of this Disney affirmed toy. Any item “Disney” that has a verbal history is valued by someone collecting. The “story” as well as the item is part of the price.
Wendell

Thanks John-
Obviously, per the specfications you outlined, this is definately a collector item. Likely, it was the Disney name setting the standard for the construction quality. Certainly, there is a further backstory here. Hmmmm, wonder if Walt specifically was setting the manufacturing criteria for the manufacturer. Hartland, if I am accurate, followed Kalamazoo mfg. efforts in using the original 0-4-0 design. So how did Hartland get involved? Did they send in a winning RFP? Considering Disney artifact prices – a good friend was one of the many animators – I’m not surprized at the price of this Disney affirmed toy. Any item “Disney” that has a verbal history is valued by someone collecting. The “story” as well as the item is part of the price.
Wendell

Theres a happy seller in Wa.

Wendell,
Those were quotes from the seller.
I should have said that, I guess.

Hartland just annonuced a new Disney locomotive, made in a run of 100. Phil sent this to the Nebraska club:

The model produced by Hartland and designed by me will be available thru Disneyland Park Stores and by mail after November 12. It is a “G” Guage Forney 2-4-4 T and is very true to the real thing. Brightly colored and very cute. It will cost about $500. Contact the Disney Stores for information.
You can call Phil at: 402-571-2933 on Tu-Th from 8 to 1 pm.

Jerry Barnes said:
Hartland just annonuced a new Disney locomotive, made in a run of 100. Phil sent this to the Nebraska club:

The model produced by Hartland and designed by me will be available thru Disneyland Park Stores and by mail after November 12. It is a “G” Guage Forney 2-4-4 T and is very true to the real thing. Brightly colored and very cute. It will cost about $500. Contact the Disney Stores for information.
You can call Phil at: 402-571-2933 on Tu-Th from 8 to 1 pm.

I would rather see them produce that Civilwar set that Kalamazoo had.

Only a hundred? I have to admit I’m a little miffed at myself for letting the LGB ones go but $500.00 is a lot of ching. Still…