Large Scale Central

Trucks

I started looking around for trucks to buy for my hopper build. Of course no one offers McCord Trucks. But they do have 56" wheelbase. Closest thing are some reefer trucks with 4’8" wheelbase. Hartford sells them for $54.95 - and while nice, come as a kit that needs complete assembled. I turned to our sponsor here (R&K Railroad Products). He has the reefer trucks for $55. Not only do they come assembled, but they come complete with roller bearings! This is what they look like out of the box:

The brake detail is fastened at the bolster and seems very sturdy. Top and bottom shots:

They roll VERY nicely and are well made.

Nice purchase Bruce. They should look good under the cars

Rodney was selling those at Marty’s, I think he sold ALL he brought! Has some nice switch kits also for just $70.

You beat me to the review, Bruce. :slight_smile:
I’ve two pair for quite a while, but due to unforeseen problems, (house re-model and new shop)
I haven’t had a chance to use them.

I’m almost finished moving into the shop. I have a project in mind to use the trucks.

I had originally thought about painting everything while assembled but it was taking longer than I wanted and not quite as neat as I would have liked.
I decided to take these apart to paint them. There is one screw on each side. Remove them and you can pop out the end parts, along with the screens.

I sprayed the fronts and bolsters and then brush painted the backs, as I didn’t want to get any paint on the bearings. Reassembly is very straight forwards. Pop the springs back in place and screw the end pieces on to each bolster. The springs are VERY easy to put back in - especially compared to the Aristo-Delton trucks. A slight squeeze and they’re in - no fly away springs at all. :wink:

I’m not sure what metal these are made from, but they seem much stronger than the stuff I’ve worked with in the past.

Did I mention how nice these roll? :smiley:

With all the detail you have worked into your hopper car, those trucks are worth every penny. It will finish off the car in great style. Congrats, on finding them.