Large Scale Central

Great track cleaner/conductor!

I used that Aero-Car track & rail cleaner fluid ACT-6006 I got from Kidman’s at Marty’s, on my track. I put it on after a good track cleaning with my pad. Had not run any trains for about 2-3 weeks since then and we had like 2-3" of rain in that time and 5" of snow. Ron brought over a track power loco yesterday, little Bachman porter and it ran like a top and never stuttered a bit, only two axles, so not much spread of pickups there! I had not re-cleaned the track or anything.

Seems to work pretty neat and the track felt smooth, did not get any black gunk on my hands, running over it. I guess that it does put down a good conductive film, like it said. I’m impressed!

Aero-Car Hobby Lubricants
P.O. Box 336
Western Springs, IL 60558
708-246-9027
www.aerocarlubricants.com

Nah, I have nothing to do with them, had never heard of them till I got this from Kidman’s. It was less than $10 for a 8oz bottle. I put some on a rag and ran it around the track, used about 1/4" out of the bottle for my 135’ of track. Used it cleaning some wheels also.

Jerry how is the product holding up?
Any updates?
Sean

Sean,
It seems to work fine. I ran my live steamer the other day, so wiped it down again after that. Seems I can just run trains when I want and not bother cleaning track.

Jerry is this still working for you? Is Kidman still carrying it? Later RJD

I did not find it to keep working okay, but I did let it freeze out in my shed, so that may have had some effect. Pretty much all battery/live steam power anymore. Seemed to work fine till I let it freeze up, not sure if that was the cause or not.

Thanks for the info Jerry. Will by pass. Later RJD

I’ve followed and tested various fluids applied to rails to prevent oxidation. There are 2 components in this, although not all fluids used have both components.

Most have a light solvent that evaporates away. All leave a film of something. This is the key. The film keeps oxygen away from the surface of the rail and inhibits (to a degree) oxidation, which affects electrical conductivity.

Some fluids have some ingredient that also works against oxidation, like what you can find in those liquid brass/silver cleaners. This seems to be the biggest variable between them.

The mere mechanical application of the product helps remove oxidation to a degree also.

My personal experience is that anything that leaves something behind, eventually gums up, attracts contaminants, and creates a buildup somewhere.

Since I have stainless steel now, my only cleaning to increase conductivity is actually just getting the rails clean, more degreasing than anything else. I use a wet swiffer, and it works great.

If I had brass rail, I might try some of these fluids, and replace/re-apply them, but I think I would just use a light abrasive rubber block or a scotchbrite, AND use something to degrease the rails after that.

Regards, Greg