Large Scale Central

using articles

I don’t remember LSOL getting in trouble (legally) with copywriting everything posted on the site, but it really pissed everyone off that they claimed ownership. Also, the brief period that they watermarked pictures so you could not post them elsewhere pissed everyone too… also, shrinking pictures so a bunch of text and advertising could be put on sides was gross… that was good riddance to bad rubbish.

Reading Bob’s terms of service, he does not claim ownership, but does indicate you need permission to copy / display / mirror things on this site elsewhere.

But if you ask the article author and he sends you his copy of the article, don’t see a problem.

Greg

Greg, like I said, I never got a consistent story, so I don’t know how that eventually shook out.

" Rooster " said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Thanks David, simple English, right…

Also Rooster, how is giving a link to my site, which is not a forum, disrespectful to Bob?

Rooster, don’t you have anything better to do? If you want to take digs at me, at least post ones that make sense, then at least it will be more of a challenge to fight with you, instead of childish junk not befitting a person of your experience and age.

Greg

You and Maynard have some things to sort out. He could PM you but you do not allow that.

I dunno Rooster, it appears from my vantage point, that Greg and I are of a similar mindset on this one.

David Maynard said:

Greg, like I said, I never got a consistent story, so I don’t know how that eventually shook out.

" Rooster " said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Thanks David, simple English, right…

Also Rooster, how is giving a link to my site, which is not a forum, disrespectful to Bob?

Rooster, don’t you have anything better to do? If you want to take digs at me, at least post ones that make sense, then at least it will be more of a challenge to fight with you, instead of childish junk not befitting a person of your experience and age.

Greg

You and Maynard have some things to sort out. He could PM you but you do not allow that.

I dunno Rooster, it appears from my vantage point, that Greg and I are of a similar mindset on this one.

Party on then boys!

Remember, train forums like this a becoming a thing of the past!

Wonder why that is ??

Greg Elmassian said:

I don’t remember LSOL getting in trouble (legally) with copywriting everything posted on the site, but it really pissed everyone off that they claimed ownership. Also, the brief period that they watermarked pictures so you could not post them elsewhere pissed everyone too… also, shrinking pictures so a bunch of text and advertising could be put on sides was gross… that was good riddance to bad rubbish.

Reading Bob’s terms of service, he does not claim ownership, but does indicate you need permission to copy / display / mirror things on this site elsewhere.

But if you ask the article author and he sends you his copy of the article, don’t see a problem.

Greg

So does that prevent some from hosting their pics here for use elsewhere?

ps; I didn’t mean legal at lysol, more about the brouhaha.

There’s no such restrictive language in Bob’s terms of service, which are very nice and brief. Other sites, and LYSOL was the most famous train one, claim that everything on their site is their property.

Bob’s TOS seem to say that he does not want you copying the forum pages or the forum itself, which makes complete sense.

Yeah, the LYSOL head guy went pretty far…and it was actually worse, he offered free hosting of pictures for Aristo forum members, but you could only display them on the Aristo site… so a lot of people who had assumed they had free hosting was upset, since many had their only copies on LYSOL… even more maddening was the short time he embedded a LYSOL watermark into the pictures themselves that could not be removed.

I got my subscription terminated because of my comments on my site about these practices…

Greg

John Caughey said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

So does that prevent some from hosting their pics here for use elsewhere?

ps; I didn’t mean legal at lysol, more about the brouhaha.

I have seen links to pictures on this site posted on other sites and vice versa usually with comments like “Posted pictures of my railway here” or similar words to that effect.

Not sure of the etiquette of doing that but.

Think people only want to upload once but share share on multiple sites, downside is that if a site disappears so do the pictures posted.

Hi Greg

I would have bugged Bob about permission on running articles but I just figured he is too busy these days. And so I asked the authors of the articles because I worked in a newsroom and wrote a lot of articles over 30 years that were used without permission a number of times. If I used them without approval I would feel guilty. Some don’t!

I will also be crediting the author and Large Scale Central for anything I use. I guess that also comes from crediting others for their work if I was writing about something I had researched.