Large Scale Central

Under pressure - modular layout

Ok, sounds good Korm. You may have to send me a reminder on Oct. tho… old guy here and as Jerry H. said… sometimes brain dead here… lol

got the mail.
yes, i will remind you, when i got the camera.

Partytime!

the first 1/8 of the modular layout is finished. (some more detailing, if time permits)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpn8MANhdLU[/youtube]

…winking…

that video makes me happy - happy, that i am no city dweller.

to stress a frequently asked question of this forum: is it done yet? - yes, it is. the barn at least.

housewarming party…

anybody got an idea, how to weather the alu-foil to look like old roof sheets? ---------- found something nice and cheap today. brushes for babybottles. about half a dollar for one big and one tiny brush.(the white ones) and a very rustic toilet brush. (the green) i cut the longer ones to length and planted them in foam.

after spraying them in brown they looked like the loved bottlebrushes (commercial trees) we all remember from H0

then i bathed them in white glue and stuck something between the bristles, what i bought as “moss”. (never seen such moss before) but anyhow, i got something, that resembles the thorny bushes we got everywhere in our pastures.

1 Like

Really coming along Korm.Nice use of materials

Yes nice use of materials!

thanks for the comments. since it is no weather for painting (under 80°F and windy), i went on a search and rescue mission in the moving boxes from five years ago. trying to find and prepare the figures and things i want to use.

forgot something. agave plants from drinking straws.

Neat stuff… Keep it up…

“anybody got an idea, how to weather the alu-foil to look like old roof sheets?”

Spray paint, silver or grey base coat, then brown misted over, then tan or beige misted over that, takes a little practice but if done right looks like rusted metal roofing.

I think I’m going to steal that agave technic :wink:

steal? i think it is a fair interchange of tecnics.

the base is just a piece of carton, cut to size afterwards. the “root” is clear two part epoxy.

i’ll try your spray combo when i make the roof of the house.

Try it on a test area first, like I said, takes a little practice but with the right touch you get a nice stippled rust effect over the silver

made a quick trial. we got no tan spray here (and i’ waaay too lazy to search for the compressor and air-brush kit.) 1) is grey ground - brown - gold 2)grey ground - silver - brown - gold 3) silver ground - brown - gold the colour combinations seem good. but it looks wrong. after a look at the neighbour’s roof, i know why. the high parts of the corrugated sheet have to be light, and the lower parts have to be darker. when there is less wind, i’ll make another trial with brown ground and grey or silver over it.

Korm Kormsen said:
...found something nice and cheap today. brushes for babybottles....they looked like the loved bottlebrushes
I find old artificial Christmas trees, some thrown out, others on sale very cheaply at the Goodwill. I disassemble, then trim their branches into multitudes of coniferous-looking trees for my backyard RR. All sizes, too!

Some have been outside for four years at least and they’re still fine. Amazingly, because I have so many that I have four or five big boxes of spares, and I haven’t had to bring them out at all. So I’m lucky, because I have them all ready to use next year on the expansion.

On my Google Maps page (link at left) you can see some pix of these trees doing duty outdoors a couple years ago. Lately I have created many bonsais; over time I think these plastic trees of mine will get crowded out.

Korm I can’t see where the gold color would come in mimicking a rusty roof, but if those are the only colors you have to work, try Grey base coat, lightly with the gold then brown over that, alternately grey then brown then very lightly with black might also work well.

vic, i’ll have to try another day. with all the wind today i could not dose the paint, as i wished. john, do you mean trees like these? got about forty of them, but they are not good enough for this “show-off” layout. i plan to use them on my big layout as background trees.

(http://kormsen.info/figuren/bilder/kleinvieh01.JPG)

Ok …What happened to the dogs body?? I carved a schiperkee out of a goat once!