Large Scale Central

The Natalie

Not much has moved on the Natalie.

The new wrench in the works is Crazy Horse has insisted that the loco remain their property. And if they so choose can reclaim it without any warning or otherwise. This causes a big problem for restoration efforts. Our best estimates are anywhere from $100,000 to $250,000 to do just partial restoration. If we were to sink that kind of money into the Natalie only to have her taken away to be allowed to rot again, it just doesn’t work.

I visited the loco this summer to get a look at what shape she is in. Well its not great but workable. The initial goal is to get her in presentable shape. That probably means a new cab. In the pics I presented there was a tarp draped over the top of the cab. Well that has blown away or worn away and so the wood is more exposed to the elements. Most of the wood is in a rotted state. Next is a DuPont overhaul. After that she is in displayable shape.

Long term is operating shape. This is a much bigger project. As I inspected her I tried to take note of bearings and such to determine what shape they are in. I am not a machinist so I am no expert. My only experience is working on farm equipment at the family ranch. But, from what I could tell there will have a lot of work on the bearings and stuff. As there should be, the engine hasn’t moved from its spot since late 1970s. Then there is the boiler. I don’t believe she has been fired since she was put into storage in Gelena in the 1930s. Again, I’m not an expert in boilers so we shall see.

The great thing is there is a good shop the museum has access to. The Black Hills Central is next door and they have experienced hands who know how to restore a steam engine (as they did with all their roster of steam engines) and have the tools to do so.

I haven’t talked to the museum in a couple months, since I have been busy, but progress is slow.

As for the model, well, that is sitting on the shelf waiting for me. I have had other projects pushed in front of the line and my priorities have shifted. I need more buildings on the layout. From my expedition, I know that the Natalie is a standard 0-4-0T Porter. There is really nothing special about her. It makes sense, The Branch Mint Mine was never a money maker so they wouldn’t spend unnecessary funds for extra stuff.

Jake,

Back in the late 60’s I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB and living in Rapid City. I was visiting the Adams Museum in Deadwood one day looking at old railroad photos in their collection. A little old gray-haired lady came up to me and asked if I liked trains. I told her yes, and especially narrow gauge ones. She said, “follow me,” and led me to an amazing collection of old photos that she had collected for a book she wrote titled “Railroads of the Black Hills.” Her name was Mildred Fielder. Here are a few of the photos she shared with me. All are of the Natalie. By the way, I still have the autographed copy of the book she gave me. It is a bit water stained from the big 1972 flood, but it is still one of my favorites.

http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_hyman/natalie/Natalie1.jpghttp://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_hyman/natalie/Natalie2.jpghttp://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_hyman/natalie/Natalie3.jpg

Bob Hyman

Great pics! I’ll have to buy that book one of these days – I see they’re available on Amazon for around $20.

Too bad about the Natalie. I don’t understand why people would prefer to just let something historic rot rather than give it up to be restored.

What a fortunate meeting Bob. Mildred’s book is the foremost when it comes to narrow gauge operations in the Black Hills. I have the book also and have paged through it several times.

I wish I knew the answer to that question Ray. It really vexes me also.

Alibris:

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=10983209039&keyword=Railroads+of+the+Black+Hills.&qsort=&page=1

Jake and Ray, the unfortunate answer is “Because they can”.

Sorry for being so late to the conversation here. Hopefully some of you remember this thread. I have always liked this style locomotive and was so impressed with the history as well as saddened to hear of of her condition that I decided to reach out to the memorial to learn more and to see if any progress had been made. I was put in touch with Marguerite Cullum the librarian ([email protected]) and received the following correspondence:

“Good afternoon, MJ

I have attached the page from our Progress publication from September 6, 1983 which covered the arrival of the Natalie at Crazy Horse Memorial.

The plaque on Natalie’s boiler plate says the manufacture was: H. K. Porter Company Pittsburg U.S.A. No. 3418 1906.

The Natalie still sits under cover on the complex. It was used originally less than two years pulling ore cars at Galena, a silver mining boom town near Deadwood and Lead, South Dakota in the northern Black Hills. It went into storage when the Branch Mint Mining Company went broke in 1908. It was deemed to be the most original stock Porter steam locomotive around.

Sincerely

Marguerite Cullum”

I think you will find the article she sent me very enlightening. It’s to bad that a deal couldn’t be struck to get the train restored and operable at the memorial while at the same time protecting it’s name and authenticity. The news publication indicates that this was Korczak’s original dream when he acquired the Natalie from Roger L Frick of California. That was in 1982. He passed away shortly after the purchase and unfortunately never got to see the locomotive he had admired for over 30 years and was finally able to purchase delivered to the Memorial.