Large Scale Central

Sound options

(Post attached to previous post as post-script so not to split between two pages.)

I did the factory reset, it does it without a custom speed table, I’m not proving it to you by making a video (how insulting), and I’m done arguing with you here as I was on MLS.

You tried to beat me senseless with your verbose posts on MLS framed to look helpful but really digging at fundamental, “do you know what you are doing”… it fools many people but you have been doing for a long time… you are skilled I will give you that…

Anyone that knows me knows I work from facts and direct observations. Your speculation sounds helpful and great on the surface, but after my long history with you, I won’t engage you at all.

I don’t drink the Kool Aid, i.e. champion new products just because they are new, or want to be popular, or write articles on a magazine that cannot really afford to say anything negative. I am not bound by any of that and a decoder that costs $200 better damn well perform well or cost less. I call them as I see them, and there are a lot of quality products out there already.

I’m done on this thread, anyone who really needs help or more information on this topic, please email me. (NOT PM)

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

II’m not proving it to you by making a video (how insulting),…

Greg

Gee, is it? Then I should have been insulted when you wanted video proof that my Aristo PCCs run just fine? Or are you one of those folks who run with 2 sets of rules. One for you, and a different one for everyone else?

I am just asking questions. That’s all.

Sigh. So much for “non-combative spirit of cooperation.”

My request for a video wasn’t so you could “prove” anything, it’s so I can see exactly what you’re seeing in order to better understand what it is you’re describing so we can be on the same page. You say you base your views on “facts and direct observations.” I’m asking is for you to share one aspect of your “direct observations” so I can see exactly what you’re seeing since I don’t get to San Diego all that often to see it in person. You implied you show this to visitors to your railroad; I figured it would be fairly simple for you to shoot a quick 30-second clip next time you had the loco out. You’ve been helpful on a number of recent threads where folks have posted videos of their LGB locos binding or not running smoothly recently; that’s the spirit behind my desire to see what you’re seeing. I’ve never doubted your observations, but a picture is worth a thousand words, and moving video is 30 pictures per second. It could very well be that we’re seeing/hearing the same thing, or it could be a definite defect with your board. I can’t tell unless I see/hear it. It’s about understanding, not “proving.”

Why cast aspersions that I’m somehow beholden to an advertiser just because I promote a product I use and happen to have very good results with? (For the record, TCS does not advertise with Garden Railways, not that such things impact the opinions I express here or elsewhere.) I’ve got 7 TCS boards in use; all work very well for me. There have been bumps (see above), but in the end, I’m very pleased with how they run. When folks ask for recommendations, I’m going to respond with what works for me.It’s fine by me if you want to tell folks they don’t work for you. In kind, I’ll gladly tell folks (and show them if they ask) how they do work for me. There are two sides to every coin. You promote your side, I’ll promote mine. Pity we can’t work for better. I tried.

Later,

K

Deep breath, everybody

Trying is not telling me to send you a video to prove what I say. Trying is not pimping that lousy TCS decoder every time you can and IGNORING all the issues out there that are well documented on the TCS and several other forums (where you have even posted!)

If you really wanted the truth, it’s there in your face, not just from me. If you don’t want it, fine.

Give it a rest Kevin, I’m done with the double talk and “good guy” facade. I’ll not respond to any questions from you any more. You have used up all my good will.

Greg

To be honest, I am seriously considering TCS again…

“Truth,” Greg, is right there running on my railroads, staring me in my face, to use your words.

Some examples, taken from videos I’ve posted elsewhere recently. Here’s the link if you can’t see the embedded videos.

This is my On30. TCS WowDiesel, v. 4, the small 1-amp version. In this example, the loco’s acceleration CV is set to 40, and deceleration set to 200. I use the TCS’s brake feature to slow/stop the trains. I begin by setting the throttle to 25%, and you hear the prime mover start turning faster as the loco accelerates. I do not touch the throttle again until the very end of the video when I stop it. The changes you hear in the prime mover along the way are the locomotive reacting to the grades on the railroad–3% up to the tunnel, then 3% down across the lift-out section, then level until I finally stop it. I shot this video to showcase how the prime mover sounds respond to changes in grade without touching the throttle. It’s really cool-sounding once it’s set up. Getting it set up requires a bit of trial and error. “Audio Assist” will guide you though the process, but sometimes adjusting the speed and load on the loco to get the kind of response you would like takes time.

This next video is on the outdoor railroad. (link) TCS WowDiesl v. 4, the 5-amp version. Loco is a kitbashed LGB White Pass diesel. This was just shot as a run-by to show the diesel after I had finished the project.

(Edited multiple times to fix video link and playback issues, which also erased most of the original post so I had to retype it. Hopefully it’s good to go now.)

Later,

K

Nice videos.

WOW! Nice sound. Thanks for the videos.

Tom

I need to down a 6 pack or maybe a case, but alas I do not drink.

I do believe he is referring to " Kevin and Greg "

Dan Pierce said:

I need to down a 6 pack or maybe a case, but alas I do not drink.

When I feel like that I take myself out for an ice creme. In fact, I had a situation yesterday that truly warranted an ice creme, with sprinkles. I got the sprinkles as a reward for staying professional with the customer, instead of telling him that he got what he got because he didn’t get an HP.

Not all manufacturers are members of this great forum. Sometimes when we have discussions about the features and problem of a product it is best to get some information directly from the horses mouth. I know the folks at TCS so I forwarded this thread to them and was given the permission to post the following.

In these discussions I feel it is important to talk about specific model and version numbers as often the problem has been addressed with a more recent version.

Greg I recommend you contact TCS customer support directly and talk to Dan If you provide him with specific information about the decoder in question, perhaps you can get the firmware upgraded.

Stan

"TCS is continuously improving our products and services in order to better sever our customers and address their concerns. As a small, family-owned and family-grown business, we have of course climbed some steep hills. However, through hard work and determination we are proud to say we offer the world’s best DCC decoders. We are aware of the initial ‘bugs’ in the WOW501, as it was rushed into production in order to meet the overwhelming demand. We have learned from this experience and responded to the negative feedback by ensuring we never rush another product. Very few WOW501 decoders are in circulation which still have the known bugs still in them. Once we discovered them, we had as many as possible recalled and updated. Decoders manufactured in or after May of 2017 are fixed. The WOW501 uses PWM on both the coil and the fan to provide the proto-smoke feature. We don’t use ‘fan braking’ because it isn’t constantly running. This can actually extend the life of your smoke unit. We’re going to continue to experiment with this feature so we can implement it on HO decoders and smoke units. Something else to be aware of is that WOW501 decoders (as well as other V4 decoders) have built-in protections such as over-heat sensors and protections which will turn the sound off if the audio peaks too high/your speaker shorts. I.E. if your volume is too high and you are playing too many sounds at once, the sound will cut out until the fault clears.

Speed table issues are a hurdle we have done our best to fix, but it is a limitation of V4 and older processor architecture. The processor’s breakpoints for the PWM on the motor drives can provide some odd results at specific speed steps. In most cases, you don’t notice them, as they are more prevalent at high speeds. If you’re running your engine like a Metro car, then sure, you’ll notice. A fix was put in place in July of 2016 to address issues with CV5 and CV6. Additional fixes which we consider to have completely addressed problems were implemented in February of 2017. Lockups when using ULST were fixed in January of 2017. We haven’t seen these problems on our new development architecture for V5.

We are also aware of the claims of ‘erratic behavior’, but have never observed this in-house. We have never seen one of our own test decoders lose its programming or stop responding, even after many hours in service with constant programming operations and power cycles. JMRI has been known to randomly do strange things to our decoders, but seems to have been fixed by version 4.7.3. We consider 4.7.3 and newer to be 100% compatible with TCS decoders."

Stan, where is this information posted publicly by TCS?

If it is not posted, who is the author of the quoted text, so I can copy it and talk to that person directly regarding his statements.

I’d love to get all my Z scale decoders and my wowsound decoder replaced.

Greg

It sounds like its was a personal response to Stan, from Dan, based on the thread here on LSC. So it probably isn’t “posted” anywhere but here on LSC.

I’d like to know so I don’t put words in his mouth so to speak, and that block of text is an excellent starting point, although … (not stating any more, so I don’t get another full page lecture, I left MLS to avoid this).

there’s no person identified beyond a “him” in customer service as being the author of the quoted text.

Greg

Thanks Stan for the update.

I bought a WOW501 and had problems trying to read the CV’s using DecoderPro. Used 4.10 release, 4.7.3 and 4.11.5 Test Versions, all with the same issue.

I sent it back to TCS last week for evaluation. it would have been nice to have that information before shipping, just to verify.

I have several TCS decoders and like them, will still keep using them as long as TCS support stays proactive.

Double Post

Greg

Alas we live at a time where products are routinely released with software bugs.

That is why on our railroad most of our decoders (such as Lenz and Phoenix) can update their flash while installed in the locomotive allowing me to have the latest decoder software release in my locomotives.

I think a large part of the problems with this thread is that most (such as Kevin, and Dan) were discussing TCS version 5 WOW 501 large scale decoders while you were likely discussing problems you have had with version 3 decoders installed in your Z scale locomotives. I believe the first WOW 501 large scale decoders had a version 4 release. Thus both you and Kevin were posting accurate information but on different products.

That is why I think it is so important to identify specific versions when discussing problems.

The portion of my message between the " " was written by Dan of TCS in specific response to TCS WOW Large Scale decoders being discussed in in this thread. I would like to publicly thank Dan for taking the time to respond.

Greg, I would call TCS Tech Support and talk to Dan directly. I have no idea how old your decoders are or if they can be reflashed or not. Hopefully they can help you out.

Stan