Large Scale Central

Shannon car shops Mik 2015 challange

Bill, many of my tools have been around for quite a while. A few were my grandfather’s. The deck is almost done. I do planking and such in stages so it stays square. And I do need to make sure that I mount the round thing square Or is that square mount the round thing? Maybe its round the square mounted thing…

The decking is now finished. For the last deck board I used the piece of lumber provided for a bolster. Since I will not be using trucks, I won’t need the bolsters, and I would have to trim the last deck board a bit to line up with the end of the car if I had used the boards provided. Also 2 of the deck boards were damaged.

Then I stained the car. I used some chocolate brown craft paint thinned with water.

After letting the stain dry, while I was having something to eat, I mounted the blocks that will support the journal bearings.

And I set the wheels onto the blocks just to make sure they would fit properly.

I am done for tonight. but before shutting down the shop I did set the round thing onto the deck, just to get an idea what it will look like.

I had originally purchased a 6 inch diameter round thing, but when I set that on the deck it didn’t leave much room for the details I want to put on the porch. So I am trying a 4.5 inch diameter round thing for size. It doesn’t have quite the same impact at the larger one, but it leaves me room for the details I want to add. Maybe tomorrow I will decide for sure what size round thing I am actually going to use.

Coming along nicely. I like the look of the stained wood.

Tom

Tonight I worked out mounting the wheels to the support blocks. But the whole episode frustrated me a bit. So the plan (wink wink) is to mount the other wheel tomorrow night and get the journals made.

Progress has been slow here in the Shannon Car Shops. We have managed to get the wheels mounted, and the car rolls rather well.

Then work started on the journals. After a few failed designs, my crew came up with;

So we took an empty box that we had, it came with chocolate covered cherries in it, and used it to start making the parts. After cutting out the shape, we took a thin strip of the box material (card-stock) and added the reinforcing rib.

Clever wheel mounts, David. Very simple and in the spirit of the challenge, no store bought bearings.

Bill, you know me, I am a cheap bas person, so free card-stock is the best card-stock for me. :wink:

Progress continues. I made the journals.

Then mounted them in their proper places, along with the frames.

Then I made leaf springs, and started on the brake shoes.

I made the leaves by painting some paper different shades of green, and then punched out the leaves with an oval hole punch. Then I mounted the leaves onto a green painted card-stock V shaped form.

Well at least it’s not a dry read!

Tea leafs? I ear green is good fore ewe…

LOL. I don’t have quite the imagination of some of the better story tellers around here. So, I just post a lot of pictures.

The round thing has me curious…

I’m glad to see it coming along, David. Are the brake shoes going to have rubber or leather soles? Rubber would grip better, but leather would last longer.

Terry, I am hoping that the coming weekend’s progress will make that clear.

Bill, I was shooting for replicating canvass high top sneakers. They have rubber soles if I remember correctly (IIRC). I am not sure if they are going to come out looking the way I want, but I only need to make 2 pair. So maybe one type will be on one side, and another type will be on the other side. It all depends on my carving skills.

Last night I was exhausted from work. Too much walking in the cold, with no breaks. Tonight was the club meeting, so, hopefully, tomorrow I will get back to work.

Chuck Taylors by Converse.

or

Keds High tops

John, now you are taxing my faded memory. I was thinking of them red canvas high tops that so many folks were wearing back in the 1970s.

David Maynard said:

John, now you are taxing my faded memory. I was thinking of them red canvas high tops that so many folks were wearing back in the 1970s.

Keds

Keds? Gee, for some odd reason I thought the were Converse. That just shows what I know.

Well, since LSC is back live, I guess I had better get back to work.