Large Scale Central

Retirement Travels

Over 1600 people rode the rails at the Finger Lake Live Steamers Open House. The next one is planned for the 4th weekend of September. It was a great experience to participate in. Jan and I are both exhausted as we head back to the oven of the Midwest for a 4th of July Rodeo with the family in DuQuoin, Iliinois. It is becoming a family tradition and always looked forward to.

Back home, prepping for Rodeo this weekend in Du Quoin, Illinois with son’s family and grand daughter’s competing.

Doing Grandpa stuff is good.

Back at Finger Lakes, prepping for the Invasion. We got here via Operations on the Michigan Central 7.5 inch railroad and an enjoyable evening of Ops on Dana Bliss’s O scale basement railroad. A couple of days of rest and ready to hit it hard in Canada.

See ya at Fred’s…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Today starts a new adventure. We are in Carlyle and have picked up two of the four grand kids. Today, we drive north 3 hours and will stay overnight in Carlock, Illinois, where we are picking up the other 2 grand kids. The Golding Great Grand Kid Traveling Adventure begins tomorrow as we head north and east to the Finger Lakes Live Steamers, so the grand kids can see the crazy stuff that grandma and grandpa are doing.

We also plan to see Niagara Falls and the Erie Canal at Lockport, New York.

Told a friend of out intentions and his reply was, “Are your Crazy?” We think that question has been answered many times.

Ric,

The grandkids are going to love Finger Lakes!

This Saturday, we are going to run our 3-3/4" NG Porter steam engine at Los Angeles Live Steamers. AND an old combat veteran from my unit in Vietnam is bringing HIS grandkids out for the day. We should have a ball.

Have fun with your grandkids on this Adventure:).

Ric Golding said:

Today starts a new adventure. We are in Carlyle and have picked up two of the four grand kids. Today, we drive north 3 hours and will stay overnight in Carlock, Illinois, where we are picking up the other 2 grand kids. The Golding Great Grand Kid Traveling Adventure begins tomorrow as we head north and east to the Finger Lakes Live Steamers, so the grand kids can see the crazy stuff that grandma and grandpa are doing.

We also plan to see Niagara Falls and the Erie Canal at Lockport, New York.

Told a friend of out intentions and his reply was, “Are your Crazy?” We think that question has been answered many times.

When you return the grand kids back home there could be the possibility of more grand kids on the way? Jan I will pray for you with all those children to take care of! Don’t forget the Mountain Dew slurppies all around for the children about 1/2 hr before returning them home. Why ? Because your are the grandparents and that is what you are supposed to do!

Mountain dew? I guess that’s the modern day equivalent to ice creme and candy.

oh - and they have the throw back Dew with real cane sugar! We ALWAYS get that for the grand kids on the way back to mom and dad’s…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

The local Clinton County, Illinois caffeine and sugar high is created by “SKI” and that is also the source for “Rumskis”. For many years I brought those to the Invasion, but as hearts got older there became the fear of overload. The Excelsior Bottling Company has expanded it’s line of liquid refreshment and is now also a micro brewery. Many bottles of that has also been brought to the Invasion over the years. I guess I’m slipping in that department. For 2016 the liquid refreshment ran the other way as I had to bring back a case of “Spruce Beer” under “Doctor’s Orders”. Our Doctor is a Canadian transplant and craved a soft drink from his youth.

Note - We have made it to Brooksville, Ohio in our treks east. I type this as kids and grandma are enjoying the pool at the campground.

Ric Golding said:

The local Clinton County, Illinois caffeine and sugar high is created by “SKI” and that is also the source for “Rumskis”. For many years I brought those to the Invasion, but as hearts got older there became the fear of overload. The Excelsior Bottling Company has expanded it’s line of liquid refreshment and is now also a micro brewery. Many bottles of that has also been brought to the Invasion over the years. I guess I’m slipping in that department. For 2016 the liquid refreshment ran the other way as I had to bring back a case of “Spruce Beer” under “Doctor’s Orders”. Our Doctor is a Canadian transplant and craved a soft drink from his youth.

Note - We have made it to Brooksville, Ohio in our treks east. I type this as kids and grandma are enjoying the pool at the campground.

I DO miss the rum…

Ric Golding said:

So basically you have been left unsupervised !

Rooster, just because I need adult supervision when I leave my house, and you need…ok, we won’t go there. That doesn’t mean that everyone needs supervision.

T’was my chance to make contact with you guys. They don’t let me alone, very often.

Ric Golding said:

T’was my chance to make contact with you guys. They don’t let me alone, very often.

I do believe that “unsupervised” is the word you were looking for. Hey, they DO have their reasons. (Well, who ever THEY is!)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

They is them who aint us. That’s who the they are. Yup, that’s them.

Have fun :slight_smile:

Early Sunday morning here at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers. All is quiet, as the “crumb snatchers” are still asleep. Grandma will soon be making food smells that will cause “them” to awake and reek terror and destruction again.

reek terror and destruction again.

Now there is something to look forward to. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Made it through the “Finger Lakes Live Steamers” part of this trip and I think we (Jan and I) are still welcome back. The 3 older grand kids ran the rail bus with out assistance and the youngest, Addy, just required somebody to ride with her. Did a Saturday evening at Sodus Bay, NY. Always fun.

Left for Niagara Falls about 2pm on Sunday afternoon, arrived at the KOA Grande Island campground around 4:30. Traditional swimming and showers routine. Plan is to check out the Falls on Monday, today. Lots of changes, since our last visit in 1997, all post 9/11 and stuff. Its a river and water going over a big drop off, but it does draw a crowd.