Large Scale Central

Pig iron cars

Devon Sinsley said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Well, SOMETIMES, starting over can be a VAST improvement. My own layout got completely redone and I ended up liking it a lot more. Same with Ken’s layout. Consider it a chance to correct earlier mistakes (HA! NOT ME!) or just fit better to your current interests. Heck, some folks do this MANY times and never ever even finish one; I would NOT recommend THAT approach. BUT, I THINK you need to be somewhat dissatisfied with the current situation to really think about it - it doesn’t sound like you’re there.

Maybe if I had not hauled in 15+ yards of dirt that was unloaded, wheel barrowed, and dumped by hand, and untold numbers of pick up loads of rock hand loaded, hauled unloaded, wheel barrowed to the site and stacked to make raised beds not to mention digging the posts for ladder down minimum of two feet and cementing them in place I might consider a rebuild. But that was way to much work to rip up and start over.

IF, and that is a huge IF, IF I were to revisit it as an industrial switching layout, I would keep the track plan and just redo the theme and make the industry fit what I have. I could add spurs and stuff easy enough but no way I would even think of changing the existing track plan. I built this so I hopefully won’t have to mess with it as I get older. Considering I built this in 2017, the same year I was diagnosed with my brain cloud, and worked through some severe pain before having my surgery, this is a labor of love and a testament to how bad I wanted an outdoor layout. Its kind a badge of honor, so to speak.

But the idea of abandoning the theme I currently have and using the existing layout to build a switching empire on is intriguing. It is already a large U shape configuration with a reversing loop on one end a we on the other with a small intermediate loop in the middle for a small continuous run. I had operations in mind when I built it, only having a token continuous run so I wouldn’t loose my Roundy Round Runner membership. Add to it that I have very few buildings at this moment and have decided I need to ramp up construction. So I really am in a good spot to switch themes and keep the track plan. I would likely serve two industries and not just one separated by a down town area. Instead of a single industry switching layout make it more like an industrial area.

I don’t know whether to thank you or punch you, lol (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif). With what I want to do with the extension of the 32mm this really could work and even make me like it more. I am thinking allowed now but the whole theme of my current railroad is a run from Mission Landing to Wallace, ID. and then onto Burke ID. mimicking the real CR&N. By the time of my story line the area was served by the CR&N narrow gauge and the OR&N (UP) standard gauge. A slight modification to history could easily make it a 2 foot gauge and 3 foot gauge scenario. And If I, instead of making it a long run from Mission to Burke and instead just make it Burke and do switching and interchanges in the greater Burke area which is a real world scenario, then I could really pack the layout with industry and buildings and add maybe a couple spurs and have a down right nice industrial switching layout without having to actually redo much of anything other than my vision. Wouldn’t even cost much beyond a few turnouts. Then when I decide to pull the trigger on the Fn2 it can just be a tram line from a mine up the canyon.

I actually like this idea.

Heh. I was just thinking of your earlier statement that you were more into modeling than operations and thought well, isn’t THAT interesting.

Some very interesting thoughts… but you must keep in mind that I no longer have a railroad, so I have NO idea what I’m talking about. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Thanks for that video Hollywood, fascinating. I’ve never seen these cars before, so you guys made me hunt around for more info. I saw this on reddit, about one that had a bad day…

Devon, you could model one of these for sure, and print the parts out over several runs. I tried and failed to find ortho drawings of one, but did see this side view of a Lionel model:

http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/product/LIONEL-TRAINS/LIONEL-O-FREIGHT-CARS/HOT-METAL-CARS-2PK/LIO683484/

Cliff unlike your museum quality eye for detail, I would be very happy with a solid printable representation of the car. I am pretty sure I can do an On30 version for sure and a multiple part g scale version. I think this is on the list of things to do.