Large Scale Central

Picture Problems - something changed?

John, ditto Joe above. I don’e even see the square with the broken link graphic.

Went to the page source, copied your web link address and get an unreachable error message.

Similar error message regardless of browser.

John, ditto Joe above. I don’e even see the square with the broken link graphic.

I did see the square and graphic, so I right-clicked and asked to ‘View Image’ and got nuthin’. But I did get a ‘back’ button which I more than I do when I see the image!

and I built a railroad website as part of my hosting service, but I really do sympathize with anyone struggling to find a reliable place to host their pictures so they can link to them for LSC purposes. This place would be nothing without pictures, that’s for sure.

In reverse order - absolutely! We need the pictures. Over on MLS the older threads have completely lost relevance due to the loss of the storage by the host.

As to a “reliable” place - there’s no such thing on the public internet. Any vendor may go bust or pull the plug at a moment’s notice. Read the EULA if you don’t believe me. Amazon could decide that storage for Joe Public isn’t worth it and will give you 30 days to save your stuff. Read that letter from Flickr above.

I, too, used to maintain websites and I still have permission to use any of the 20GB that the owners aren’t using (they are up to 1.9GB as of last year.) But I don’t store anything useful there.

Even CD-ROMs aren’t deemed reliable over a 10 year period.

My solution is to keep copying my stash onto external hard disk drives. I have a 350GB and a 1TB drive that I don’t use for monthly backup, but they both have copies of all my photos up until I stopped using them regularly. My current 1TB backup disk (considerably smaller than my first 1TB drive,) goes everywhere my computer goes and has copies of everything on my computer, including all the photos on my other 2 backups.

Then there’s the problem of video, which eats much more space. I have my camera/phone set to low-HD (1280x720) which is more than adequate for web browsing, and I output the videos to Youtube in SD (DVD quality) video to save space.

Bob, I do not know the whole story. My company’s sales department was without their cloud for almost a month. I am in service, and since we don’t cloud, the event didn’t rain on our parade.

John, yes Bob can pull the plug, but if he does, then online pictures don’t matter to me anymore. The one forum I used to post on has dried up and blew away, so this is the last forum I post pictures on. If it goes away, I won’t need to post pictures anywhere anymore.

Greg Elmassian said:

Free seldom lasts long…

Greg

Wonder why that is…

When saving photos to your freight shed, what size is used. I would like to be able to get more than ten pics in a file…It has been a long time since i have used the freight shed and forgot what to do…

Travis Dague said:

When saving photos to your freight shed, what size is used. I would like to be able to get more than ten pics in a file…It has been a long time since i have used the freight shed and forgot what to do…

I use 800x600 as recommended to me.

Travis Dague said:

The accepted size in the Forums is 800x640. The system allows 1024x768 but only if the photo is that size to start with.

I load photos after cutting them down by 1/2 or more until they are less than 2000 px on the largest dimension, e.g. 1815x846. Then I tell the ‘insert picture’ what size I want to see on the page, e.g. 800x640.

When you insert a photo, the input block asks you for the display size, so you can type anything up to 999 (but no more.) Or just let it use the original size, as I did here. (1815x1246)

Do remember however, that the large image is still apparently transmitted and then scaled for display.

Over the years, people with very low speed Internet have complained once in a while, so storing the picture in 800x600 helps avoid this, although, again, it’s probably a problem for very few.

Progress notwithstanding, on the GScaleCentral forum, I was taken to task by a couple of older guys who claim that their phones are their only data source and they are slow.

So, I resize everything first just in case.

Greg

resizing also saves space in your freight shed, so you can add more pictures. I was recommended to use Faststone picture resizer to do all my pictures I add to my freight shed, it works fairly easy

I’ve recommended IrFanView for at least 10 years, lets you change size in pixels and size in bytes. Free, comes in both 32 and 64 bit, and has plugins for almost every graphic type.

Greg

Irfanview even has a plug in to open PDFs, then you can re-save the image to other image formats.

And you can increase the contrasts/sharpness on a pdf, which is sometimes needed when you get a crappy scan (we have to scan stuff for our club and some people never look at the contrast settings).

Greg