Large Scale Central

New storage area

Marty, but your progress is looking great… :slight_smile:

So Marty, quoting what you posted earlier - “Be able to walk through without ,JUMPING OVER”

So did this idea change as the build progressed? With the removable roof, I really don’t see a need to walk through. As I said earlier, looks like a great place to do some classification switching.

Thanks for posting.

Ric

meaning the walk path where the switches are. Jump over all the switches VS walking over a couple at a time.

Wow! That should hold a lot of rolling stock. I wish I had the room you have. Very impressive. Like the photos. Are you using Aluminum track or is it stainless?

Todd

alum track. I just placed 20 cars each of 100 ton hoppers in 4 tracks .

Next will be 50’ and 60’ cars.

grain train, tank train.

as of now,
4 tracks of 20 hoppers 100 ton
2 tracks of covered hoppers ?? amount
2 tracks of 3, 5 pack stack train 15 cars each.
2 tracks of misc ?? amount
Clearing the old shed so it can be rebuilt next week. or so.

Very impressive Marty. Would love to have something like that to park trains in. Beats carrying cars!! I may have to build something much smaller 'til I get more land!! (and money for switches and track)

That’s a great looking job Marty. If I didn’t know better I’d swear it was professionally done. :wink:

I chuckled when you mentioned how you “winged it” because that’s how I do most everything. If I waited to plan things out exactly I’d never get anything done. hehe! The most I ever have is a few basic measurements (clearances, etc.) and maybe a rough pencil sketch.

Anyway you’ve got one impressive operation there and everything so beautifully done. I like the angle iron framework. A great choice for such a large structure.

I used fiberglass for the roof on my first storage shed. It made for a very warm environment for several little lizards that took up residence inside amongst my freight cars. Mini security guards for the POC.

Thanks Richard, I never ever thought I would need this much room.

just a little history

I am a creationist, the master or artist has the ability to change his mind.
thus:
I don't use the term, do it "right" the first time.
And if your newbie.

This terminal started out to be a large train station with platforms.

As it was being built all the leaves from the trees covered it. Bummer.
Next I got my hands on some free used metal of different colors and sizes.

I also removed some of my 2" steel angle iron used to test a new type of roadbed.
Which I got rid off.

So looking at this pile of steel I realized I had enough to make an outdoor storage for the trains.
After the first open house I realized other visitors did not like crawling on their stomachs getting cars out, so i made one side lift up.

Now I am back to plan D and rebuilding the roof ,NOW that I have alot more knowledge on the matter.

So don't be afraid to not do it "right". Got-her-done.  As Larry the Cableguy would say.

*****and for the record, I have never had a mouse or wasp nest in this old shed.*******

Thats is saying something here in NEBRASKA.

Hehe! Sounds like a perfectly natural progression to me.

Marty Cozad said:

Ric

meaning the walk path where the switches are. Jump over all the switches VS walking over a couple at a time.

Ahh! Now I understand. I was misguided down the wrong path of intelligence. And it passed me by. Your storage shed’s are the desires of many. Great work!

One day, as I was going in one end, two boys drove their train in the other end on the same track. Naturally, the two trains coupled together. I asked them who wanted to crawl in there and uncouple them.

(I didn’t make them crawl in. I backed out till we could get to the coupler.)

Get the roof on Marty, The snow isnt going to miss you this time. Its sweeping south of us and right at you.

“I used fiberglass for the roof on my first storage shed. It made for a very warm environment for several little lizards that took up residence inside amongst my freight cars. Mini security guards for the POC.”

Trespassers will be eaten.

Tom Ruby said:

“I used fiberglass for the roof on my first storage shed. It made for a very warm environment for several little lizards that took up residence inside amongst my freight cars. Mini security guards for the POC.”

Trespassers will be eaten.

Hehe! They were welcome guests. They didn’t hurt anything aside from a little lizard poop on some car roofs and they kept other intruders out. They seemed to enjoy riding on the cars too.

I’m envisioning new security sign:

Railroad Property - Stay Out

!! D A N G E R !!

Beware Security Lizards

Trespassers Will Be Eaten

I got started on the end and roof alittle tonight, but I did not order enough J channel. OH well!!

there is always tomorrow...

Marty, looks great… :slight_smile:

When I build my O gauge, I think about staging and yards. Somehow with the size of these trains, while moving outside, I lost the idea of how to park these things for the night or longer. Seeing these buildings helps me to understand some parking concepts that I haven’t needed inside. I got spoiled. I just shut them off and go upstairs.

Looks like I’ll be doing some winging myself soon. I’m making room for a pad now to have some parking on. Just amazed at how much space and track I’ll need. I may just wing a pad and shed to start with and make it bigger in future years??

I actually listen to you more than you’d think. Awesome looking structures you’ve made there Marty! Now I’ve got to copy them…OK??

Marty Cozad said:

Thats is saying something here in NEBRASKA.

Marty… Just got to ask one dumb question on this photo. There is nbr’s above the doors and are not in 1,2,3 and so on. Now I see they are painted over,.but still wonder how you nbr’ed them ??

I see M1 with a 3 and then M2 that I think is your main line thru tracks, but the others nbr is a toss of a coin?? lol.

Guess I could do the same here to mess our group up, like door, 6, 3, 8, & 9 just because I wanted to… and let them fig. out where the other track nbrs are, some where on the layout… lol…

Just bugging you… but the storage sheds sure look good.

Why are your old door nbr’s odd? Besides being odd like we are. Noel