Large Scale Central

My First 3-D Print - Can You Tell What it Is???

Todd Brody said:

You notice that there is a small slot on either side into which ends of the sandpaper slide.

I was looking at that and wondering if it caught on something it might pull free. Maybe better to have at least one end clip on.

If I wanted to make more, what would you charge per unit (ballpark) to 92705?

Like $1 over material + shipping from RI 02814 or just shipping if I’m having fun with it. Send me the file.

I’ll make some modifications based on this one and send a revised file.

I’ve already decided that the slot will go away. Instead, the “verticals” around the pad area will just be straight/lipped and a rubber band can then go around this area and secure the screen along the front and back. This will make change-out of the screen much easier than trying to bend the ends around 180 degrees and dealing with the slot. And, because I don’t need to double it back on itself, I can make the pad area a bit longer putting more screen to the rails. I can also tweak the fit just a bit now that I actually have one to try.

Thanks

The printer I run at work is a filament style that is dual head. One runs the material the other is a support for building the part. It uses build sheets (heavy clear plastic) which are disposable after they are used up. When the print job is done, you put it in a hot sonic bath with a chemical that dissolves the support and leaves the part you want.

Have you submitted your file to Shapeways? Curious to see what they would charge.

Todd Brody said:

I’ll make some modifications based on this one and send a revised file.

I’ve already decided that the slot will go away. Instead, the “verticals” around the pad area will just be straight/lipped and a rubber band can then go around this area and secure the screen along the front and back.

The rubber band is a good solution. Maybe add a slot for it. I assume the part is free to move up and down so scrubbing pressure is dictated by the weight of it? Is that sufficient? You could add some space for pennys, quarters or CPU’s.

The "verticals now angle back on themselves just a bit (think dovetail) to hold the rubber bands without slots.

It is free to move up and down, but there is really little room for movement. It could be a bit thinner, but I don’t want to give up strength and having no idea of the properties of the media in this respect… The revised version is a just bit thinner under there and in other areas.

A thin metal plate could work or a relatively short spring or even a piece of foam centrally located. This is actually intended to keep the track clean once it has been cleaned.

The file is ready and I just need to know where to send it.

Thanks

Chris Kieffer said:

The printer I run at work is a filament style that is dual head. One runs the material the other is a support for building the part. It uses build sheets (heavy clear plastic) which are disposable after they are used up. When the print job is done, you put it in a hot sonic bath with a chemical that dissolves the support and leaves the part you want.

Have you submitted your file to Shapeways? Curious to see what they would charge.

Similar to the way I did it.

No, have not submitted to anyone else.

Todd Brody said:

No, have not submitted to anyone else.

Ignoring that

WORKS EXCELLENT!!!

Very hard to catch the glare and color change but the lower rail has about a dozen passes. Trains were last run on June 16. Only a bit of minor studdering the first couple laps that smoothed right out, and nothing that even needed a “push.” Very happy with the results. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Running great.

Chris Kieffer said:

$47.31 in black and $46.81 in white plus shipping. I can do them for that!

I think the price you are getting from the place you used includes some overhead to run the machine and pay the employees (which makes sense). They just price it based on the cu. in. of material you use. I was thinking the price for material you quoted was pretty steep. Shapeways charges a lot and are using a better printer. If they are over $10 less; then your company is pretty expensive.

Great to see your part in action and working.

I think a huge expense is the material support. If you could design the legs as plug and play into the base, and create a entirely flat model I would think the price should drop. I’ve noticed that Shapeways does NOT like empty space. If I was to order something like that I would fill the hollow space with other parts.

An update. Dan made and sent me 6 of the revised samples in black. These are just sized a bit tighter along the legs for a better fit, a bit narrower to be less obstrusive, a bit longer along the track, a bit more clearance for the trucks, and a dovetail to hold the elasomeric clamp (rubber band). Simply slip the band down around the legs, lay the screen in place, and push the band up into position.

Cool, very nice revision and great help from a fellow member.